Gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muff

Just having fun
Reaction score
so I just moved my northern brewers chinook ipa into secondary. I didn’t take a OG but I think my gravity now is 1.008 is this correct and is that to low of a reading?

6B270CCA-0547-446D-81B7-8A8A0DBD68CE.jpeg

Hard to say from the image, but it seems to be around there what you suggested!

I'm quite new to brewing myself, but I think it comes down to beer you're making. If you mashed in low temps, then yeast is going to consume more sugars, and you get more alcohol and drier beer. Higher mash temps mean more body, as it develops sugars that yeast can not eat, less alcohol.

I think it's going to be somewhat dry beer, but it can still be good depending on the style you're making! :)

EDIT: Just learned how to read, IPA it is! Someone who's more familiar brewing IPAs can give you a better idea about supposed FG. I think your FG is fine!

so I just moved my northern brewers chinook ipa into secondary. I didn’t take a OG but I think my gravity now is 1.008 is this correct and is that to low of a reading?

I'm sure that it too low of a reading so you should bottle it and send it to me for disposal. I'll put it in the toiled...after processing through my digestive system. :D

Seriously, no it isn't too low and if it was, what could you do about it. Once you pitch the yeast you have no more control than to adjust the temperature during the fermentation. I'd be happy to be able to get an extract batch to ferment so well.

It’s my first beer so just wondering. Said it should be around 1.014. But without an OG this number doesn’t mean much. It tasted great real hoppy.

It’s my first beer so just wondering. Said it should be around 1.014. But without an OG this number doesn’t mean much. It tasted great real hoppy.
It's a kit. So as long as your volumns are correct your OG is what the kit said. That said, It's probably done, time to bottle. Forget the secondary NOT NEEDED for an IPA.

Note that your actual FG needs to be adjusted for temperature. Usually not a big thing, but it should be adjusted for the sake of accuracy.
Welcome, and congrats on your first batch.

Congrats! I'm in the same boat. I also have a batch of the Chinook IPA going, but it's already in the secondary. If you choose to go that route, I'd definitely recommend putting the dry hops pellets in a mesh bag. I'm still hoping that more hops will settle so I can get a cleaner beer, but a lot seem to be floating. Best of luck!

Congrats! I'm in the same boat. I also have a batch of the Chinook IPA going, but it's already in the secondary. If you choose to go that route, I'd definitely recommend putting the dry hops pellets in a mesh bag. I'm still hoping that more hops will settle so I can get a cleaner beer, but a lot seem to be floating. Best of luck!

Given time the hop pellets usually settle out nicely. If not, use a rubber band to hold a fine mesh bag (hop bag?) around the end of the siphon to keep them out of the bottling bucket.

I was gonna wait a week then dry hop for a week then bottle. Any reason not to stick to this schedule?

Your OG was 1.053. It was listed on the kit info on Northern Brewers' site under additional information. As long as you used all the extract that came with the kit and were reasonably accurate with the amount of water used the OG will be right.

Your choice on timing. You could dry hop today, let the hops have a week, then bottle or you could wait another week, 2, 6, or 10 weeks before you dry hop. The longer time will let more yeast settle out and the beer begin to mature.

Back