Gravity reading too high for FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PassionBeer

Reaction score
I brewed the AHS Pumpkin Ale last Sunday (exactly 1 week ago). I started at 1.051 with my OG, their estimate was 1.052. I just took a reading today, 7 days later and the gravity is 1.020. The recommended FG from them is 1.013, and as you can see, mine is too high for that.

Should I be worried and try to re-pitch ASAP, or...? Help please!

P.S. I used Windsor dry yeast and the primary is stored at ~70 F.

:(

Thanks, I'll leave it in the primary another week. Is this normal to take more than a week to get to the desired FG, or was it something I did during the brewing/pitching?

Thanks, I'll leave it in the primary another week. Is this normal to take more than a week to get to the desired FG, or was it something I did during the brewing/pitching?

Well, you didn't do anything wrong. Some extracts and ingredients are simply less fermentable than others, and it's not uncommon for some to stop at 1.020, especially with a less attenuative yeast strain. My last oatmeal stout finished at 1.020.

A projected FG is simply a measurement, and it's a good guideline but definitely not necessarily a goal. If it's at 1.020 or below, and it's not changing any more after another week or two, it's ok to bottle. The key is just that it isn't changing any more.

Well, you didn't do anything wrong. Some extracts and ingredients are simply less fermentable than others, and it's not uncommon for some to stop at 1.020, especially with a less attenuative yeast strain. My last oatmeal stout finished at 1.020.

A projected FG is simply a measurement, and it's a good guideline but definitely not necessarily a goal. If it's at 1.020 or below, and it's not changing any more after another week or two, it's ok to bottle. The key is just that it isn't changing any more.

Thanks Yooper, I guess if it doesn't change, that's just a little disappointing to me as this will turn out to be about a ~4.1% ABV beer, which I was shooting for at least 5% ABV.... :(

I would say that it is perfectly normal for fermentation to take more than 1 week. With most of my brews, it takes over a week for the krausen to fall, and I'm sure that the gravity is still dropping at that point.

-a.

Did you do a partial boil? If so, what type of top off water did you use? I have a theory that my unfiltered tap water has something in it that causes the yeast to call it quits. The only two brews I topped off with tap water stopped at 1.020 prematurely. Everything else has attenuated within the yeast's range.

Did you do a partial boil? If so, what type of top off water did you use? I have a theory that my unfiltered tap water has something in it that causes the yeast to call it quits. The only two brews I topped off with tap water stopped at 1.020 prematurely. Everything else has attenuated within the yeast's range.

Yep, it was a partial boil and I just topped off with regular tap water.... Hmm... What do you recommend topping off with, then?

I would say that it is perfectly normal for fermentation to take more than 1 week. With most of my brews, it takes over a week for the krausen to fall, and I'm sure that the gravity is still dropping at that point.

-a.

Thanks, I'll do another reading in a week. Here's to hoping it drops!

:mug:

Yep, it was a partial boil and I just topped off with regular tap water.... Hmm... What do you recommend topping off with, then?

Boil your top off water the day before and let it sit over night to evaporate and chlorine off.

Or use jugs of distilled/purified/spring water from the grocery store.

Personally I add a crushed Camden tablet the night before and let it sit in an open container overnight. This gets rid of both chlorine and chloromites

Thanks for the replies.

Question, if it remains at 1.020, is that safe to bottle at? Any risk of bottle bombs at that gravity?

If it stays steady at 1.020, then it's OK to bottle. When the Gravity stops dropping, it means the yeast have finished chewing up what they could.

When you add the sugar prior to bottling, you give the yeast something new to chew on.

Good luck with it. You'll be happy with the outcome if you're patient with it. Set aside a few bottles & taste them in 6 months or so. You'll probably be glad you did.

OK, so today I checked the gravity and it's still holding at 1.020. That being the case, I racked to my secondary and now will give it a week or two in there and then bottle condition. Kind of disappointing as far as ABV goes, but oh well, it's even more sessionable now.

Oh and I took a taste, heavy on like the real pumpkin flavor, not so much on the spices. I'm hoping from what others have said that some good bottle conditioning bring out the spices a bit more.

Hey guys - an update.

After two weeks in the primary at 1.020 I transferred to the secondary for clearing. Well, I bottled today, so it was just shy of two weeks in the secondary and I took a reading and it dropped to 1.012!

I guess it was stuck somehow - the recommended FG is 1.013 so I think I'm safe. Hopefully no bottle bombs!

Does it sound I did/bottled at the right time, etc.?

Thanks!

Back