Gravity reading or no gravity reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronius79

Reaction score
This is regarding my first batch of home brew. I never took a gravity reading. At this point I'm 2 weeks and 4 days into fermentation. I was planning on bottling by the 3 week mark. Is there a chance that the yeast may not be done and could have bottles pop or am I safe to bottle at the 3 week mark? I'm concerned about opening and closing the fermenter for 3 days in a row to take gravity readings. I don't want to risk infection. Is it pretty much guaranteed to be ok to bottle by 3 weeks or should I take readings anyway? Thank you

If the airlock center piece has settled all the way down or nearly so, this can be a decent indicator that it's safe to take a reading at 18 days in. Wait until the 3rd day & take another reading. Don't worry, as long as you do it quickly it won't get infected. If the numbers match & it's within the stated FG range, it's done. It takes quite a bit to infect a beer. Just take the gravity sample & put the lid back on. It'll be fine.

Back