Gravity reading from the primary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tklarose

Reaction score
I want to get a gravity reading in the primary. What is a good way to sterilize the hydrometer?:confused:

you need to take a sample from the primary via a sterilized turkey baster or wine thief and then put it in a tube or use the wine thief. I sterilize with Star San.

Do not put sample back into primary! Taste it for experience....

RDWHAHB!

There's no real problem with dropping the hydrometer into the primary that I can see, as long as it's properly sanitized. A spray bottle of Star San would work, or make a small batch of sanitizer solution in a mixing bowl and let it soak for a couple of minutes. Be sure your hands are sanitized as well, because your fingertips will likely touch the liquid's surface at some point.

when i ferment in a bucket, i submerge the hydrometer in star san solution for a while then put it in the bucket without letting the tip top where my fingers were touch the beer.

Back