Gravity Reading 1.006

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowashburn

Reaction score
has been in the fermenter for 10 days now. I dont have a secondary. Is this thing ready to siphon to the bottling bucket and bottle? My OG was about 1.060.

Also, I took a big wiff of the beer (not wort anymore, right?) and man is it overwhelming. It actually bought a tear to my eye. The gas smelled great coming out of the airlock all week and this completely threw me off. Is this normal?

Give it another week or two for the yeast to clean up off flavors and you will be ready to bottle.

You got a nose full of CO2 when you took your whiff. Don't do that, it hurts.

You got a big wiff of CO2. Almost took your breath away huh. Been there. Done that. That's like 90% attenuation. Not real common for an extract. If it's still 1.006 tomorrow you should be good to go.

edit: Nurmey is right. I missed the 10 days. You want at least 2 weeks in the primary, 3 is better.

You got a big wiff of CO2. Almost took your breath away huh. Been there. Done that. That's like 90% attenuation. Not real common for an extract. If it's still 1.006 tomorrow you should be good to go.

edit: Nurmey is right. I missed the 10 days. You want at least 2 weeks in the primary, 3 is better.

haha, yeah, was kinda embarrassed to say it but it surely did take my breath away. actually got a little woosy!

also, why would it be uncommon for extracts?

Okay. 68 is a little high. You're might have developed some fusel alcohol because the beer temp was over 70 during the primary fermentation. You'll know when you taste it. It will have an alcohol burn & if you drink say 3, you'll get a good headache. Maybe a little ester too. Banana flavor/smell. You really won't know until a month or so from now. Try to keep the beer temp <65 next time if you can.

Okay. 68 is a little high. You're might have developed some fusel alcohol because the beer temp was over 70 during the primary fermentation. You'll know when you taste it. It will have an alcohol burn & if you drink say 3, you'll get a good headache. Maybe a little ester too. Banana flavor/smell. You really won't know until a month or so from now. Try to keep the beer temp <65 next time if you can.

that sucks, hopefully it's even drinkable.

I'm assuming that this is your first, or one of your first brews?

If it is your first, here is my advice:

Nurmey is right, if you leave it for a few weeks it will taste much nicer, however it's not going to be the end of the world if you decide to bottle as soon as your fermentation is finished.

Take another gravity reading tomorrow, if your gravity is still 1.006 then it's definitely finished fermenting (I'd be very surprised if your gravity dropped lower than 1.006 with an extract brew.)

Good luck with the brewing!
H

I recently took a reading on a clone I made of Dark horse's Black Bier.. It read 1.000, I couldn't believe it.

Fast forward to my next brew and it said my 1.050 kit was a 1.160.. The paper had come loose in my hydrometer.

Make sure to check that.

Back