Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich5665

Reaction score
My gravity came in at 1.014. It's been in the primary for 2 weeks, I need to bring it up to 1.025. What should I do?

How many gallons of beer is this batch? Was this extract, mini-mash, or all-grain? If you did a mash what temps did you hit? Did you add any non-fermentable lactose, starches, or other adjuncts? What was the OG, and what yeast did you pitch?

Also it sounds like you're trying to make it conform to a style guideline, if so what style would that be?

Short of adding lactose or blending with another beer I don't really think that you'll be able to increase gravity, but answer some questions and maybe someone can give you an idea how to proceed.

Yeah I think we need a little more info like your recipe and what you are trying to achieve. 1.025 is quite high for a finishing gravity, would usually be something like a really big stout or strong ale like a barleywine. Do you know why you are trying to hit that specific number? Were you trying for a big beer like that and it finished too dry and thin?

How many gallons of beer is this batch? Was this extract, mini-mash, or all-grain? If you did a mash what temps did you hit? Did you add any non-fermentable lactose, starches, or other adjuncts? What was the OG, and what yeast did you pitch?

Also it sounds like you're trying to make it conform to a style guideline, if so what style would that be?

Short of adding lactose or blending with another beer I don't really think that you'll be able to increase gravity, but answer some questions and maybe someone can give you an idea how to proceed.

Total 4 gallons partial mash. First part of brewing consisted of steeping grains in 1.5 gallons of water for 1/2 hour at 157 degrees, then sparging with 1.5 gallons of water at 175 deg. total time ~ 1 hour At this point my original gravity reading was 1.050, then I dropped my Hydrometer.

Second hour added .75 EKG hops at 60 min. added LME at 45 min then add .25 EKG hops at 15min at 0 min I cooled wort to 80 degress added 1 gallon of spring water stirred then added my yeast. I couldn't take a second gravity reading, I didn't have a back up hydrometer after breaking the first one. Hope that helps

1.025 would normally be a really high target FG for a beginner beer. Are you brewing a barley wine or something similar?

An Irish Red - 4 gallon recipe (small batch)

Maris Otter Malt - 2.5 lbs
Briefs caramel 40 - 1 lbs
Roasted Barley - 0.2lbs
Muntons Extra Lite LME - 3.3 lbs
EKG Hops - 1 oz
SafAle S-04 Dry Yeast

I think I got worked up for no reason. When I first put the wort into the fermenter, I think the final reading at that point should have been 1.025. I couldn't take a reading because I dropped the Hydrometer. Since I stink at math someone, calculated my project ABV for me. 1.050 - 1.014 x 131.25 = 4.73% ABV. so I should be okay I think. My plan was to begin bottling the beer tomorrow. I now have 2 hydrometers.

Wait - you hit your target gravity and then added a gallon of water?

Something is weird here...

you probably have around 1.050 starting or OG (72% efficiency mash 4 gal batch BrewToad.com predicts 1.054).

1.012 is a fine FG for that style.

Sounds like OP hit the target gravity for the partial mash then topped off with both water and LME.

Not sure where you're getting the 1.025 number from, neither your OG or your FG should be that, but as mentioned sounds like you are totally fine.
:mug:

Sounds like OP hit the target gravity for the partial mash then topped off with both water and LME.

Not sure where you're getting the 1.025 number from, neither your OG or your FG should be that, but as mentioned sounds like you are totally fine.
:mug:

You're right, I missed that somehow.

:eek:

No. I never had a chance to take the second reading after adding the remaining water. I dropped my hydrometer when I went to take the final reading.

Back