Gravity points from apple juice concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mersh

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of apple wine going in primary right now. I've added a few cans of apple juice concentrate to it since I took the OG reading, and I'd like to be able to determine the ABV.

My question is, how many gravity points will a can of apple concentrate add? I searched around this site and the web, but couldn't find it listed anywhere. I'm new to brewing, so I'm not sure how to calculate it myself. Based on the info printed on the label, each can contains 174 grams of sugar.

Ok, thanks! I know you already told me that in the last thread I started, but I wasn't sure if that only applied to one type of sugar. I take it that's the blanket number for all sugars?

So if my concentrate has 174g sugar per can, it will take 2.6 cans to get a pound of sugar. 46 points divided by 2.6 cans equals 17.6 points per can, per gallon.

So one can should bump my 5gal batch up 3.52 points? (.000352)?

For some reason I was thinking that you had to account for all the other stuff in the concentrate, not just the sugars. But I guess the sugar is all we really need to worry about here?

basically yes, give or take a few decimal points (add .00352).

All sugars will add gravity, but not all sugars are equally fermentable. Fructose, like you'll get from apple juice, will get pretty well eaten by the yeast. Other sugars, the answer is, "It depends!"

Reviving and old thread - if I'm understanding this, 2.6 cans of apple juice concentrate (my cans are 12oz) is the equivalent to 1 pound of say, corn sugar? I'm trying to use the above calculations to figure out how much concentrate to use as a priming sugar for 2.5 gallons of beer.

Thread = subscribed...

I'll post again since no one responded yet... :)

I did the math and determined that 2.8 cans is my equivalent to a pound of sugar. (Mine have 162 grams of sugar per.) Assuming the potential of a pound of corn sugar at 1.046, that would make each can of apple juice concentrate 1.016. Therefore by cross-multiplying my 1.96 ounces of corn sugar (1.046) to X ounces of apple juice concentrate (1.016), I get 5.488 ounces of concentrate to bottle-carb the beer.

Feel free to correct any mistakes I might have here... I think it's important to mention that I THINK the 5.488 ounces are by WEIGHT, not VOLUME, as the 12 ounces of apple juice concentrate weighed almost 15 ounces, NOT including the container.

I'm not sure if a pound of sugar is typical, but I use 4 oz of concentrate per gallon of cider for priming.

Back