Gravity points for carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelsona21

Reaction score
How many points will my gravity need to drop to achieve carbonation in my cider? I am trying to figure out what gravity I should be shooting for when I back-sweeten if I want to bottle pasteurize around 1.010.

Not sure if I understand exactly what you are asking but I think I am wondering the same thing. I was wondering how many points of gravity I can expect to drop while the cider is carbing. If this is not what you are asking I apologize for hijacking and please ignore what I said. Otherwise, somebody help this guy!

Average beer-level carbonation is achieved at about 6 points gravity drop. That's the simple answer. It's a lot more in depth than that, but yea.

I've read some bottle at 1.010 then pasteurize, others at 1.020, checking the bottles after a week. Not sure if they are addding priming sugar, but im guessing not. More input from others with more experiance would be appreciated.

I've read some bottle at 1.010 then pasteurize, others at 1.020, checking the bottles after a week. Not sure if they are addding priming sugar, but im guessing not. More input from others with more experiance would be appreciated.

See, the thing is- cider can go to .990. So it's hard to guess where you want to try to "halt" it.

For me, I don't like like sweetened ciders so I wouldn't be able to tell you where YOU like it.

The easy answer- when you like the taste of the cider and where the sweetness is, stick it in the fridge to cold crash it and clear it a bit. (That's optional, but I like my ciders clear). Then, use 1 ounce of sugar per gallon of finished cider, and bottle it. Have one in a plastic soda bottle and squeeze it. When it's hard, like soda, pasteurize it.

I was going to let it ferment all the way out, hopefully to around 1.000, OG was 1.056. Then I was going to back-sweeten, bottle, allow to carb, and then pasteurize. I was just wondering how many points of gravity I should expect to lose during the carbonating process so I can sweeten accordingly. I would like to end around 1.010 I think.

I think snuesen gave me what I was looking for. Thanks!

A typical (~ 2.8-3 vols of CO2) cider carbonates in approximately 0.003-0.004. A drop of ~0.006 would be a highly carbonated cider and a change of ~0.008 would be a champagne style cider with the potential for gushers.

I appreciate the help! The cider is coming along nicely. I sampled it two evenings ago and the gravity was down to 1.004 and the taste seems to be coming along nicely in comparison to the first sample I took about a week ago.

I have another question along the same lines as my previous one. I was going to back-sweeten with apple juice only, however, now I'm thinking I don't want a sweet cider. If I'm just wanting to prime my bottles with apple juice for carbonation, can I count on the sugar content from the label to be accurate?

Back