Gravity, does this make sense....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Really I just don't know if I'm reading my hydrometer right so tell me if this makes sense.

OG on 12/7 1.054/13.2 brix (taken only with refractometer)
SG on 12/12 1.017 (hydrometer), 6.2 brix (refractometer)

This recipe:

10 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt; Briess
2 lbs German Light Munich
.625 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 10L; Briess
.5 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L; Briess
2 oz Magnum - 14.5 AA% whole; boiled 90 min
2 oz Centennial - 10.0 AA% whole; boiled 15 min
2 oz Cascade - 5.5 AA% whole; added dry to secondary fermenter
1 pk Safale us-05

Also, says dry hop 4-7 days. Should i dry hop now or wait 2 more days?

It might make sense, depending on mash temperature, but don't bother with a refractometer reading as alcohol skews the refractometer reading and is inaccurate even with correction software.

Looks reasonable to me. What part of it is bothering you?

Did the recipe specify a starting gravity? Also, keep in mind that once you have alcohol that your refractometer reading needs to be adjusted.

You can pretty much transfer to secondary and dry hop once signs of primary fermentation (active krausen, regular bubbling) have stopped.

Other issue i have is this is only my 2nd 5 gallon brew. Done a few 1 gallon. For some reason this one (stone runination clone) or last one (blue moon clone) didn't really form any krausen. I know it doesn't always but is it normal? All of my 1 gallon batches had lots of krausen. Does it have something to do with using a bucket and not carboy?

DSCN0353.jpg

Nope. You just missed it. That ring in the bucket is probably from the krausen. Looks like it just dropped into the beer (perfectly normal).

Back