Grapefruit White Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thricefreak

Reaction score
Me and my friend are making a grapefruit white ale, we just got a standard white ale recipe and are going to add grapefruit to the secondary. But we don't know how much we should add simply because the grapefruit flavor is a very intense one and we do not really want to overdo it. And I was also thinking about sugaring up the grapefruit a little bit so that it is not so bitter but I'm wondering if all the sugars in the wort will conpensate for that or if it actually would be a good idea. So to sum this all up how much grapefruit and should I sugar them a little bit?

Thanks

There are several hop varieties that give off grapefruit flavors. You might want to try dry hopping with something like Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, or Amarillo instead of actually using grapefruit. Just my 2 cents.

As phillipv says, I wouldn't use any grapefruit juice at all. You can get plenty of that from Cascade and Amarillo hops. Late additions and dry hopping should do the trick.

well i am now considering doing grapefruit zest instead of juice, so how much zest would be a normal amount to add in a beer?

If you add fermentable sugar its going to... you know ferment. Artificial sweaters creep me out so I'd look into adding some natural unfermentable sugars one way or another.

I am assuming you are making a belgian wit but a standard amount would be 1 to 2 oz zest of grapefruit or orange or other fruits you like at flameout.

Ha ha oops!

I am assuming you are making a belgian wit but a standard amount would be 1 to 2 oz zest of grapefruit or orange or other fruits you like at flameout.

I think 1 to 2 oz of DRIED zest would be standard. You might want a lot more fresh zest. You might consider putting the fresh zest in the secondary (or in the primary after active fermentation if your not planning on using a secondary) to try to keep that strong grapefruit smell.

I'd think about adding some orange zest as well to balance and round out the flavor.

If anyone was wondering it turned out pretty good, not as prominent of a grapefruit flavor as I was hoping but it is there, it's just subtle.

Back