Grapefruit Juice in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Anyone used grapefruit juice in a beer? Everything I have read says using citrus juices is not a good idea, so I have never done it. I have only used zest.

Sam Adams 'Rebel Grapefruit IPA' says it uses both grapefruit peel and juice.

Would like to hear anyone's experience using grapefruit juice (or any citrus juice) in a beer. How much, and what did it do?

Do a sour mash, grist containing 10% acidulated malt and add 7 limes worth of juice and watermelon to a secondary.

It makes grapefruit juice not beer I swear.

I used a whole grapefruit and the peel in a blonde summer ale. It's a light fruitiness, not really juicy. (I love shofferhoffer grapefruit but don't know how they do it!).

I did I grapefruit session IPA that turned out surprisingly better than I had expected. I didn't dry hop but hit it hard with the flameout additions. After fermentation, I sprayed two large grapefruits with starsan and zested them, no white, just peel. I "dry hopped" for two days, I recommend not going any longer because it will get really bitter and astringent (I expiramented with a small batch). I added 40 ounces of simply grapefruit juice to the keg and then racked the peel dry hop into the keg. If you're concerned with clarity, you could add some pectin enzyme to the juice before adding it to the keg to drop the pulp. I'm telling you, you will be happy if you follow this.

I just did a pale ale with peel of 4 grapefruit and the juice of 2 at flame out. Come out great. It's a big hit

Make a tincture - add the zest and juice to everclear or vodka and let sit for a week or two - then add to taste at packaging.

I make an american style Hefe that I bottle with grapefruit juice (used as priming sugar). It is a summer favorite of quite a few of my friends (mostly ladies)

I make an american style Hefe that I bottle with grapefruit juice (used as priming sugar). It is a summer favorite of quite a few of my friends (mostly ladies)

How much juice? I like this idea.

Though I love grapefruit, i can't have it anymore because I take Lipitor. Ensure folks know you are using it.

Back