GrapeFruit IPA RECIPE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or any really tasty, cloudy, IPA recipe that a beginner could brew up? I am trying not to use a kit..

My DFH clone is pretty grapefruity. I don't know if you could get amarillo and simcoe hops now, though.

Did you look at the recipe database? There are lots of great IPA recipes there and any of them can be done with extract. We can help with the conversion if you need some help making it an extract batch. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/

I have done this. Grapefruit zest will give you huge flavor and aroma if added @ 15 min and/or flameout. I would only add the zest from 1 decent sized grapefruit. Then hop heavy with grapefruit/citrus hops and you are all set.

I had the last bottle of this recently and the grapefruit flavor and aroma out lived the hops giving the perception of a fresher IPA than it was. Great for a summertime brew IMO.

I know it's been posted before but this thread reminded me of this
There is sone cursing so I'll label this NSFW

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone have a grapefruit ipa recipe for a beginner?

Or just a tasty fruity IPA, i have only done a kit before..

AND I look at the recipe database, and it was very hard for me to follow. I could follow the directions in the kit but when it comes to picking out my own ingredients I feel like I am going to mess it up.

I make an APA with 2.00oz at 60m, 2.00oz at 15m and 2.00oz dry hop at two weeks for another two weeks. All hops are Cascade and everyone that tastes it says it tastes like grapefruit.

ToddPacker69 said:
AND I look at the recipe database, and it was very hard for me to follow. I could follow the directions in the kit but when it comes to picking out my own ingredients I feel like I am going to mess it up.

Hey, Todd!

I'd encourage you to experiment with the database recipes using small batches (I do 2.5gal but some do 1gal). Just scale all the ingredients. If you get anywhere close to the recipe, it may not be an exact clone but it'll likely be good and you'll learn a LOT! Plus, the smaller batch saves time & money. Then, when you've nailed down your process, you can do a bigger batch.

Back