Grapefruit APA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebenntt

Reaction score
Hi all. I am trying to build a recipe for a grapefruit beer, without using the grapefruit itself or grapefruit juice. I've taken part of the grain bill from a Shiner Ruby Red clone I saw and added a hop schedule I found on another thread. Take a look and give me any feedback on anything that can be improved. I plan to brew this weekend. It will be a 5.25 gallon batch. Here are the ingredients:

8.5# 2 row
1.75# Wheat Malt
1# Crystal 40L
.75# Honey Malt
.5# Cara-Pils

Hop Schedule
.5 oz Chinook - 13% AA FWH
.5 oz Chinook - 13% AA @ 20 mins
.5 oz Simcoe - 12.7% AA @ 10 mins
.5 oz Amarillo - 8.6% AA @ 5mins
.5 oz Citra - 11% AA @ 5 mins
.5 oz Amarillo - 8.6% AA @ 0 mins
.5 oz Citra - 11% AA @ 0 mins
.5 oz Simcoe - 12.7% AA @ 0 mins
1 oz Amarillo - 8.6% AA dry hop 7 days
1 oz Citra - 11% AA dry hop 7 days

Yeast - Safale US-05
Irish Moss - 1 tsp @ 10 mins

Mash @ 156 for 60 minutes

Let me know what you all think.

It looks good to me- I'd love it- but I don't see "grapefruit". Cascade hops scream "grapefruit", and amarillo can as well, with simcoe, but citra is MANGO to me (I mean in capital letters) and very tropical tasting.

I forgot to add in that I plan to add 1 oz of dried grapefruit peel at flameout. For some reason I can't get it added to Beersmith.

It looks good to me- I'd love it- but I don't see "grapefruit". Cascade hops scream "grapefruit", and amarillo can as well, with simcoe, but citra is MANGO to me (I mean in capital letters) and very tropical tasting.

Simcoe to me has more of a sweet melon flavor. Really surprised me in a SMASH brew.

But as Yooper said, Cascades taste heavily of grapefruit. Made an IPA with Cascade exclusively once, and I think you'd actually be best off using cascade for most, if not all of the hop additions. If it's a grapefruit flavor you want, I think you'd really enjoy it.

Comet is the grapefruitiest of the grapefruity, but it's hard to find at the LHBS. If you want to interweb it, just order some Comet and don't be shy with it. You said you were brewing this weekend so cascade is a perfectly acceptable sub. However, 2+lbs of crystal malts are going to make the beer taste sickly-sweet, i.e., not very grapefruity. I'd cut the C40 & Honey at least 50% and use a little extra gypsum.

I do a SMaSH brew with 2row and mosaic. It has alot of grapefruit. Very simple and very drinkable. First wort hopped and then dry hopped in the keg. Has a fantastic aroma and flavor.

2nd the Comet = grapefruit

Comet with Apollo is definitely grapefruit city.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Founder's All Day IPA has the best grapefruit flavor of any beer I have tried. I would dump the Chinook and Citra and go with Crystal, Simcoe and Amarillo..... You could add Cascade as well.... Cascade is one of my favorites!

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
8 g Crystal Pellet 4.3 Boil 60 min 5.6
6 g Simcoe Pellet 12.7 Boil 60 min 12.41
16 g Simcoe Pellet 12.7 Aroma 20 min 11.25
14 g Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Aroma 20 min 6.66
14 g Crystal Pellet 4.3 Aroma 20 min 3.33
14 g Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Aroma 5 min 3.18
14 g Crystal Pellet 4.3 Aroma 5 min 1.59
14 g Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Dry Hop 7 days
14 g Simcoe Pellet 12.7 Dry Hop 7 days

Back