Grape juice wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithdib

Reaction score
Hi

I have been trying grape juice wine, by the gallon.

I have one going with white grape juice, all has one well till I racked from a brown demijon to a clear when racking.

The liquid is very white, not clear kind of milky white?

What's gone wrong?

Thanks

I can't picture it. Can you link to a photo so I can see what you mean?

Is the wine topped up to the neck of the demijohn so there is no headspace? Is it out of the light? Is "milky white" the color, or the consistency?

I can't picture it. Can you link to a photo so I can see what you mean?

Is the wine topped up to the neck of the demijohn so there is no headspace? Is it out of the light? Is "milky white" the color, or the consistency?

I will get a picture when I can, yes it's topped to neck. It's been kept in the dark. Milky white colour, consistency seems normal

I will get a picture when I can, yes it's topped to neck. It's been kept in the dark. Milky white colour, consistency seems normal

I don't know where that color is coming from, unless it's yeast or some pectin starting to fall out. But don't worry about it at this point, unless it forms a skin or something on the top.

When you get down to your final gravity, give it a taste.

If it tastes like wine you just have a haze problem most likely. A bit of racking and time should help.

If it tastes 'off' you may have caught something.

Hope its just a pectin haze!

i have made white grape juice wine before and it always has suspended yeast in it making it white and it has a very acidic taste at first racking then a month or two later it taste good.

Back