Grape Concentrate Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noe

Reaction score
Okay, so we decided that we wanted to try to do a batch using grape concentrate just to see how it would turn out. We were just following one of Jack's standard recipes. We used Montrachet and during the time in the primary all seemed to be going well. Once we got the desired SG we transfered it into the secondary but fermentation seemed to completely stop. I stirred to suspend any lees before transfering, however I did not get most of the lees into the secondary. When I noticed and went to add them the primary was already being washed out. Was the stuck fermentation due to the fact that I didn't get the lees into the secondary or was there another problem?

SG was around 1.0 or a little above due to the wine being a slightly higher temperature than around 60. I guess I just assumed fermentation wasn't going because once I transfered into the secondary no gas was being released from the airlock. The other wines we have done started bubbling immediately.

1.000 or a little less is what it will finish at. The minor fermentation going on now probably isn't producing CO2 fast enough to make a bubble.

Check it again in 2 weeks, if it drops it was fermenting.

This is the reason I always let it finish and clear in primary...all of this confusion never comes into play :p

yeah, it sounds like it's finished fermenting so just keep it under airlock and give it time.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the SG in about two weeks and see how it's going.

Back