grape beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepnbrew

Reaction score
I just picked 7 gallons of I think Concord Grapes from a vine in my backyard. The previous owner must have made jam, but I'm thinking maybe some beer creation and save some for jam or something else... Any good recipes for a grape beer?? Would it even be good??

61904_430708023324_744738324_5246977_1160446_n.jpg

Extreme Brewing has an extract version of Midas Touch. If you get a copy of the book it's page 146, I don't think we can share copyright recipes on the forum...

Really though I don't like the taste of Midas Touch and beer+wine doesn't really do it for me. If you are looking for a recipe, that'd be one to look at though.

Off topic, but you cannot obtain copyrights in a recipe. That being said, you can obtain copyrights in how a recipe book is organized and any unique photos or drawings therein, but not the individual recipes. By the way, here is a link to the Midas Touch recipe on this forum: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/dog-fish-head-midas-touch-71861/

I was a little confused in the wording of your post...so you're saying it's ok to post recipes from a copyright book? I'm not a legal guru or anything I just didn't want to stir up the moderator bee swarm :p

Well what is OK here and what is legal are two different things. For example... It is perfectly legal to talk about beer and get advice as to how to make beer at any age; but is against forum rules to even be on HBT unless you are of legal drinking age in your locale.:drunk: Now, if you posted a recipe, you wouldn't be breaking any laws. The forum rules only list this: "By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any content that is obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, copyrighted or otherwise violative of any laws." A recipe is not copyright protected and thus posting would not "violate any laws." The book is only copyright protected as to how it is laid out, any unique photos or drawings, or any original ideas of the writer. The individual recipes are not. As a side note: One of the closest gaurded recipes is Coca Cola. Only a handful of people have access to the recipe because if it ever got out, there would be nothing Coca Cola could do about it (well, unless a competitor committed corporate espionage and started producing it- then they could sue under a trade secret theory). But say Coca Cola made a book and published their recipe. The book would be copyright protected, but not the recipe. For more info see this link from the U.S. government: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

The moderators may have their own take on the subject, just check with them. However, it would be pretty rude to start a thread where you listed all of someone's recipes.

LOL... well.. I think there is another thread for legality issues... I'll check out the Midas Touch. Maybe I'll just go for a concord wine recipe and do a all wine recipe. Never made wine, but been good at making beer, so I guess I should do ok with this too..

So what I gather from the red and white, they are using:

-grape juice (pinot) mine I think is concord grapes
-corriander
-orange peel
-wit style beer

Sounds like I have a new recipe to try.. Fresh grapes, I wonder how much of my 7 gallons to use... Any help appreciated! :mug:

I work for a Riesling producer so it was almost a given that I would at some point try to do a Riesling Ale. I ended up with an American Wheat based brew that I add Riesling juice to in secondary. Wasn't my personal favorite, but the winemaker loved it and even wanted to get a small batch contract brewed.

Back