Granules in my HefeWeizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VGAO

Reaction score
Hello brewers,

Couple of weeks ago, I brewed my first beer, Hefeweizen. Fermentation seems to be almost done. However, I took a small sample out and I could see small granules in my beer. Confused if something went wrong with my beer?
IMG_20200505_130938.jpg

-Vinay

During fermentation everything gets stirred up. I suspect what you are seeing is the proteins of hot or cold break. Give the beer some time to make sure the fermentation is complete and then more time yet to let the yeast clump up and settle out.

It's best if you don't look at fermenting beer same as you don't want to see how sausage is made.:yes:

When doing an all grain wheat beer I like to get a vigorous boil and a noticeable hot break going.
If you have a hefeweizen the suspended yeast doesn't flocculate quicky and tends to stick to the protein in solution.

One way to get a possible fix is to try a step mash and extend your mash times slightly to get a better solubility level for your wheat proteins. If you're using certain types of European Pilsners you might have a brand that's a wee bit less modified than the US 2-rows. If you're using flaked wheat as an extra ingredient in a hefe for body it really isn't needed. As said before (I think) an extra bit of refrigeration time before drinking may help settle those floaties, too.

A month after first ever brew day, this is what I got.
IMG-20200523-WA0021.jpg

Turned out quite well.

Latest posts

Back