Granite & glass flasks do not mix!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwgriz

Reaction score
I live in Southern Maryland, near Patuxent River. I was hoping to brew a Saison last Saturday, and while on travel during the week, I found a cool homebrew store near Richmond, VA called Original Gravity, which is over 2 hours from my house, but on the way back from my travels. I put together a recipe and went to the store to buy the grain and a packet of Wyeast 3711 French Saison.

I made a starter on Thursday night, added the yeast, yeast nutrient, and even oxygenated it. As I was holding it in one hand, slowly swirling the flask, I reached out with my other hand to grab my stirplate.

Unfortunately, I was too close to the edge of my granite countertop, and half a swirl later, glass met stone, and CRACK! My entire starter with the yeast in it was on the floor. :(

The next day I called up to the Annapolis Homebrew store (a mere 1.5 hours from my house) to see if they had any Saison yeast. Turns out they had completely run out, White Labs as well as Wyeast, all Saison strains, were gone!

A 4 hour trip back to Original Gravity just to get some yeast was too much to stomach, so I put the grains on the shelf and ordered from Midwest. So I should get the Saison yeast on Thursday and be brewing away on Friday.

The moral of the story is, be VERY careful with glass flasks around granite!! :eek:

that sucks! too bad you're not in northern md, i have some 3711 i'd give you.

You aren't the first one to postpone a brew cause of an accident. I did something similar a few weeks ago but i dropped the opened yeast vile not the flask... but i did just get done making the starter before i dropped all the yeast.

If you're willing to come to Hyattsville I am kegging this weekend and I will have some harvested Belle Saison you can have early next week.

I have family that live in Richmond, ill have to check out Orginal Gravity. Ill share my yeast starter story too, I was getting ready to pitch WLP300 into my hefe, go grab the starter and remove the tin foil top only to find a dead fly inside the starter. No idea how it got in there, that foil was on pretty snug. Luckily the LHBS had more 300 in stock and I pitched 2 vials instead. I am now calling it Bavarian Hefefly.

Back