Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunkyhops

Reaction score
I just got my package from morebeer today nothing big (12oz hops, 3 lbs grain, 3 lbs DME, 6lbs LME) and the grains are unmilled. I dont have a grain mill. I was wondering if i could put them in a freezer bag or two and smash em up with a rolling pin? usually I get my ingredients from my LHBS and the grains are the exact amount and milled when i buy them. Is there a way to "mill" these without a grain mill? The amounts of grains i need to mill are 12oz chocolate, 8 oz roasted barley, and 12 oz caravienne. Thanks for the help.

Yes, you can crush the grains by hand with a rolling pin. Just be careful not to pulverize them into flour. You want to crack the husk to expose the endosperm.

Your LHBS might crush and bag 'em for a nominal charge.

Some LHBSes can't crush grain that didn't come from them, though. Local safety regulations or something, pest control? I forget what the reasoning is.

Skunkyhops said:
... I was wondering if i could put them in a freezer bag or two and smash em up with a rolling pin? ...

Yep! That's how I did it before I moved to all grain brewing and got a grain mill. It'll work just fine. Just get the biggest baggie you can, make sure it's good & sealed and flip it over a few times to make sure you get every grain possbile. Take your time.

Back