Quantcast

Grains

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Skunkyhops

Reaction score
I just got my package from morebeer today nothing big (12oz hops, 3 lbs grain, 3 lbs DME, 6lbs LME) and the grains are unmilled. I dont have a grain mill. I was wondering if i could put them in a freezer bag or two and smash em up with a rolling pin? usually I get my ingredients from my LHBS and the grains are the exact amount and milled when i buy them. Is there a way to "mill" these without a grain mill? The amounts of grains i need to mill are 12oz chocolate, 8 oz roasted barley, and 12 oz caravienne. Thanks for the help.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Yes, you can crush the grains by hand with a rolling pin. Just be careful not to pulverize them into flour. You want to crack the husk to expose the endosperm.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Your LHBS might crush and bag 'em for a nominal charge.

Some LHBSes can't crush grain that didn't come from them, though. Local safety regulations or something, pest control? I forget what the reasoning is.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Skunkyhops said:
... I was wondering if i could put them in a freezer bag or two and smash em up with a rolling pin? ...
Yep! That's how I did it before I moved to all grain brewing and got a grain mill. It'll work just fine. Just get the biggest baggie you can, make sure it's good & sealed and flip it over a few times to make sure you get every grain possbile. Take your time.

OP
S

Skunkyhops

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the quik replies... I cant wait to get this brewin tonight!
LOL... you said endoSPERM!