Grains of Paradise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I am making an English IPA in the next few weeks. I was originally thinking of making a smoked one, that thought has been shelved for now. What i am contemplaiting now is one with some grains of paradise in there.

With the sublte earthy flavors of the english version of an IPA i am thinking that some peppery spicyness from the grains of paradise would really add a great level of flavor.

Thoughts? suggestions?

I would use 1/4 of a teaspoon or less, crushed with a morter and pestle. It adds a very pleasant flavor to low gravity ales.

I'd keep it low, also, just in the background. In the background, that could be very nice. In the foreground, it might just seem like a phenolic IPA.

TL

Really not the place for grains of paradise, but, as suggested, if you keep it very low, you should be fine. Definitely don't let it get too overpowering; otherwise, you will be disappointed.

Ok, i have never used them before. only 1/4 teaspoon is all i should add? I agree, i do not want this to be a stand out item in the beer. I do like the idea of a very very subtle peppery note.

Should i go a touch less than a 1/4 teaspoon?

Again i have never used the grains of paradise so i am in the dark on this one.

Back