grains and malt supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomersbrew

Reaction score
Since I am new at this,I would like to throw this question out to you experienced home brewers.
Were do you think is the best place to buy your grains and malts from,there are so many on the web,I kind of get lost to who's good and who's not.

Thanks in advance
Mike:D

obviously there will be different opinions, but i think a majority of people use either AHS (as mentioned above), midwest, or brewmaster's warehouse.

I've used all of the ones listed, plus NorthernBrewer.com. Northern Brewer has flat rate shipping (just like Brewmaster's Warehouse and Austinhomebrew) and has good kits. They also have a nice catologue they'll send you if you ask.

I've bought faucets from Williamsbrewing.com and some stuff from morebeer.com also. All good, dependable, and quick. It seems like NB and AHS seem to have what I want, more than some other places, though, so I order from them the most. My next order will be from Brewmaster's Warehouse, though, because I love their website and he's a supporter here.

They also have a nice catologue they'll send you if you ask.

The first time I ordered from NB they sent the beer catalog AND the wine catalog: that's enough brew pr0n to keep you busy most of the evening. Their service was quick and prices were good, I'd order from them again.

Last two kits have come from Brewmaster's warehouse and I'll return there often.

I tend to lean towards an online store that is somewhat in the same proximity as you are. I mean somewhere say within 500 miles. This will reduce the time it takes for ground shipping to arrive at your door. This is more important for shipping yeast and hops, but I don't like waiting and I hate my ingredients sitting in a hot truck for too long.
My go to shop is homebrewers outpost. I think they are in Phoenix and I know that UPS will get it to me within two days of leaving their shop.

I recommend that you find a place that is within two days shipping, and compare some of their pricing to the well respected places that others have mentioned above. If they are within a few bucks, give them a shot.

I'd also check for local home brew shops. That's where I buy my bulk grains, yeast, and most other things. It can be much cheaper than on-line when you factor in the shipping.
I use the on-line places when the LHBS won't or can't sell me what I want.

-a.

I try to get stuff locally. Check the yellow pages first...then go online if you gotta.

Shipping on heavy weight items often negates the savings of online shopping.

i agree with the last two posts. even though the closest HBS is about 30 minutes away, i like being able to see how they crush the grain, get the hops & yeast directly out of the refrigerator, and taste some brews while i'm there. it also ends up being about the exact same cost (factoring in gas money) that it would be if i ordered online.

Back