Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GF is on its way and trying to check out recipes and such. When I click on the brewing community, or go right to brew.grainfather..., it just says "Something went wrong"

Anyone else getting that? If so, is this a common problem, or did I just happen to join at the exact wrong moment?

My Grainfather will be arriving tomorrow. No more lugging pots and mash tuns for me. I imported most of my go to recipes already to the app and I am looking forward to my first brew in it a week from Sunday.

GF is on its way and trying to check out recipes and such. When I click on the brewing community, or go right to brew.grainfather..., it just says "Something went wrong"

Anyone else getting that? If so, is this a common problem, or did I just happen to join at the exact wrong moment?
I have not received any errors on the site sounds like bad timing or the browser has an add-on that might be messing with the site.

Yes. Had an authorisation error and when I logged in again got “Something went wrong”.

I’ve been using my Grainfather for quite a while now. One very minor annoyance was trying to keep an eye on my temp as the wort went from CFC to my fermenter. I was looking purchasing a Blichmann thrumometer to improve this, but stumbled across the Grainfather Wortometer. Looks perfect and was surprised I hadn’t seen it mentioned in this thread. It’s a small metal container that you put inline from your CFC. When you’re ready to transfer you just pull out your thermometer from the Grainfather and slide it into this and you can monitor your temps with the control box you already have. Under $17 when Grainfather has it in stock and also available elsewhere. Anyone seen this or have one? I have one on the way.

Last edited:
I’ve been using my Grainfather for quite a while now. One very minor annoyance was trying to keep an eye on my temp as the wort went from CFC to my fermenter. I was looking purchasing a Blichmann thrumometer to improve this, but stumbled across the Grainfather Wortometer. Looks perfect and was surprised I hadn’t seen it mentioned in this thread. It’s a small metal container that you put online from your CFC. When you’re ready to transfer you just pull out your thermometer from the Grainfather and slide it into this and you can monitor your temps with the control box you already have. Under $17 when Grainfather has it in stock and also available elsewhere. Anyone seen this or have one? I have one on the way.
I recently got an email about this product and was very interested in getting one. I am interested to hear what you think. I was considering the thrumometer as well

And I get my Grainfather (Amazon purchase) and one of the lifts for the top mash screen was broken off..... Might just go with the one for a brew and see how it will affect anything.

Definitely worth replacing. It will make it a bit harder to lift that plate, especially with hot wort over it.
I emailed them about it, even though I did not buy it from them. I did not want to pack the entire thing back up and send it back to Amazon. If not I will spend the 40.00 to buy and new one and grumble about it.

That’s good to know. Thanks for the info
Hi. Another suggestion,...you could go to big Orange or Blue and buy a couple of stainless #4 or #6 stainless screws with nuts, drill the tab & plate, and use the fasteners to secure it. A little more work than silicone or JB weld, but a lot more permanent and robust. Good luck in whatever you do, but really I hope GF just replaces it for you. Ed

Hi. Another suggestion,...you could go to big Orange or Blue and buy a couple of stainless #4 or #6 stainless screws with nuts, drill the tab & plate, and use the fasteners to secure it. A little more work than silicone or JB weld, but a lot more permanent and robust. Good luck in whatever you do, but really I hope GF just replaces it for you. Ed
I will give it a good thinking. Just need to find a place to drill through the tab being an apartment dweller. Not really going to do anything until I hear back from GF. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone. It has been awhile since I was active on the site but getting the GF got me going again.

I will give it a good thinking. Just need to find a place to drill through the tab being an apartment dweller. Not really going to do anything until I hear back from GF. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone. It has been awhile since I was active on the site but getting the GF got me going again.

If it's under warranty should be no issue . I received mine with one of those tabs broken off . Had a new one at my doorstep within a week.

And I get my Grainfather (Amazon purchase) and one of the lifts for the top mash screen was broken off..... Might just go with the one for a brew and see how it will affect anything.

I had this happen and GF sent a replacement plate immediately. Is warranty not supported with Amazon purchase?

Dumb question I could not find in the manual..... How do. Change the controller to Fahrenheit from Celsius? The app has it ok the box still has celsius

The unit is all clean and tested. Did a quick boil test. 6 Gallons got to about 210 with the lid on and was boiling. I am not too concerned as most videos I seen has it at 209 and boiling. Plus malt has a different boil profile than just plain water. Cannot wait for my first brew day on this a week from tomorrow.

You probably won't even notice about the top mash screen. For the last several brews now mine has been 'falling into' the mash and its not been much of a problem. I'm considering just not even using the top one for my brew.

Who has replaced the "wort out" tubing on their original style CFC? And if you did, what size tubing did you use, and where did you source it? I'm having a hard time finding custom length "300mm" silicon tubing

Want to put replace the original with a longer piece on so I can get out of the business of lifting fermentors.

Cheers!

Who has replaced the "wort out" tubing on their original style CFC? And if you did, what size tubing did you use, and where did you source it? I'm having a hard time finding custom length "300mm" silicon tubing

Want to put replace the original with a longer piece on so I can get out of the business of lifting fermentors.

Cheers!
Hi. I bought this tubing a while ago to replace/extend my GF's CFC wort out tube. So far, it's worked great. The only issue I've had is that being thin walled, it tends to kink if you bend it too sharply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FOWGGW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Hope this helps,
Ed

Last edited:
It appears there is a Grainfather Black Friday sale currently underway. 10% off now, 20% come the weekend after Thanksgiving.

So They are not going replace the top plate but want me to go through Amazon (which wants me to return the whole thing) not impressed by there so called "warranty" and customer service. Buyer beware if buying not from them. I am sure some homebrew sites are accommodating but do not go to Amazon for it. I am really pissed off.

So They are not going replace the top plate but want me to go through Amazon (which wants me to return the whole thing) not impressed by there so called "warranty" and customer service. Buyer beware if buying not from them. I am sure some homebrew sites are accommodating but do not go to Amazon for it. I am really pissed off.
Man, that really sucks and I'm sorry they didn't work with you...I don't blame you for being pissed. I agree about not returning the whole thing to Amazon either as it's more trouble than it's worth. I was very fortunate when I bought mine in August of 2016 from HomebrewSupply (with a good discount,) and it arrived damaged. The folks there worked with me to make it right, and it turned out to be a very positive experience. I hope you don't let this sour you on the Grainfather. It's a wonderful piece of kit and will really enhance your brew days, and it also makes really good beer if you do your part. Ed

Man, that really sucks and I'm sorry they didn't work with you...I don't blame you for being pissed. I agree about not returning the whole thing to Amazon either as it's more trouble than it's worth. I was very fortunate when I bought mine in August of 2016 from HomebrewSupply (with a good discount,) and it arrived damaged. The folks there worked with me to make it right, and it turned out to be a very positive experience. I hope you don't let this sour you on the Grainfather. It's a wonderful piece of kit and will really enhance your brew days, and it also makes really good beer if you do your part. Ed

I’m a little soured but I really like it. I’m just taking your advice and going to get some stainless nuts and bolts and attach it that way. First brew day is this Sunday.

So They are not going replace the top plate but want me to go through Amazon (which wants me to return the whole thing) not impressed by there so called "warranty" and customer service. Buyer beware if buying not from them. I am sure some homebrew sites are accommodating but do not go to Amazon for it. I

Yeah that sucks. I wouldn't send the whole thing back for that either . You can try to use it with one of the tabs like you said but it may put more stress on that one and break off . A machine shop might only charge you the cost of one stick because it would only take literally 30 seconds . Even a car repair shop maybe able spot weld it back. The bolt and nut will work fine though .

Where? I’m looking and can’t find it on sale anywhere.
Google “Grainfather Black Friday”. I’ve only seen supplier’s note the sale. I contacted my LHBS and they order me one (conical). I will now wait for Black Friday to go pick it up to obtain the 20% discount.

Keep an eye on Northern Brewer. They frequently have 20% discounts with free shipping.

Back