Grainfather q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joejkd82

Reaction score
I scoped the monster thread for this and didn't see this discussed.

I ordered my gf and am expecting it this week. 2 questions

1. For all these people getting ridiculously high efficiencies, are your fg's coming out close? In other words, are you getting more abv or is it possible this thing is overheating your mash?
  2. I noticed they have a sparge water heater on their web page, but it's sold out. Where can I find something similar?

1. I'm pretty new to eff math but my first 2 brews were stronger then i planned. %5.2 and %6.3. I just think its a good problem. :)

2. Just use a pot and heat it up on your stove.

1. I'm only two brews down but for both, my numbers were pretty spot on. I used recipes in Brewer's Friend and scaled down to 2.5 gallons, ignored the water quantities, and input the water quantities from the Grainfather water volume calculator instead.

2. Like above, I brew in my kitchen. I'm right next to the stove so I just heat it up in a large pot.

Edit: for you're looking for something like the Grainfather water heater, try googling "electric urn"

Is the grainfather app accurate with it's water volumes? I noticed when set to imperial units it screws up the grain weights. 10lbs becomes 10.11 after saving the recipe. I assume the water is getting screwed up too.

I've heard in various posts that the website, manual, or app are the most accurate. Which is it? Do they not agree to one another?

Is the grainfather app accurate with it's water volumes? I noticed when set to imperial units it screws up the grain weights. 10lbs becomes 10.11 after saving the recipe. I assume the water is getting screwed up too.

I've heard in various posts that the website, manual, or app are the most accurate. Which is it? Do they not agree to one another?

I haven't looked closely as I'm only looking at this stage but is it related to a UK gallon being around 5 litres and a US gallon being around 4?

Latest posts

Back