Grainfather Counterflow Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBB

Grab me another beer please!
Reaction score
For those using the counterflow chiller included with the GF, how are you using them? I mean how are you hooking them up? So it comes with a blue hose for the input of cold water and the red for the output. Do you just fill a cooler of ice water and stick the end of the blue hose and red hose in? Do you hook the blue hose up to your sink and just turn on cold water and then leave the red hose to drain in your sink? And what connection are you hooking up to your faucet? I have faucet where you can’t screw an attachment on to it.

I've done 1 brew on the GF. I hooked up the cold water just like you said to my faucet and the red I put in a bucket to use for cleaning. I recirculated the wort for a bit then choked down flow from the pump. Honestly I got my wort temp down faster with my immersion chiller and submersible pump. So my next use i will incorporate both . I will bury my immersion chiller in a ice chest full of ice water . Pump water through it into the blue hose of the cfc then the red outlet hose back to the pump . My tap water isnt quite cold enough yet . Maybe I didn't use the cfc properly idk. I do know that with my homemade immersion chiller and pump I was getting from boil to pitching temp in 30 min.
I use the attachment that came with the GF on my faucet . The hose just slips on . Think it also comes with an attachment for water hose as well. You could get a decent pump to push the water since your faucet wont allow you to utilize it.

I use tap water in my CFC. I use the faucet addapter that came with it. I usually save the first 5 gallons of water from the chiller for cleaning, and let the rest run down the drain. I always let the cooling wort run back into the kettle till my grainfather is showing about 165*f then choke down the red ball valve and move into the fermenter. Now that its getting cooler that will put my wort arount 72*f. Durring the hottest months i only get to 78 and then i let my fermentation chiller handle the rest.

I use tap water in my CFC. I use the faucet addapter that came with it. I usually save the first 5 gallons of water from the chiller for cleaning, and let the rest run down the drain. I always let the cooling wort run back into the kettle till my grainfather is showing about 165*f then choke down the red ball valve and move into the fermenter. Now that its getting cooler that will put my wort arount 72*f. Durring the hottest months i only get to 78 and then i let my fermentation chiller handle the rest.
When the GF shows a temp of 165 you choke the valve then move the wort hose to your fermenter and its mid 70*'s that fast ? I must be doing something wrong . I had to wait till morning to pitch because my wort was 90* when I transfered it over.

When the GF shows a temp of 165 you choke the valve then move the wort hose to your fermenter and its mid 70*'s that fast ? I must be doing something wrong . I had to wait till morning to pitch because my wort was 90* when I transfered it over.
I do choke it a lot, probably about 1/3 of the potential flow rate. I have had a couple really hot days where I couldnt get it below 85, but my fermentation chiller is pretty efficient so i was able to pitch about 4 hours later.

Back