Grainfather controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLostBeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was wondering in being the electric brewing is completely brand-new to me and I'm still trying to piece my system together, the controller for the grandfather would work as a rims tube to controller? Obviously the 110 V system or 240 V depending on which one you have.

Because if this does work, and I don't see why it wouldn't why wouldn't you just spend 150 or 200 bucks on the new controller and have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities with it, and you would also be able to hook up your pumps to it as well.

I'm curious if anybody here has done this already.

So I was wondering in being the electric brewing is completely brand-new to me and I'm still trying to piece my system together, the controller for the grandfather would work as a rims tube to controller? Obviously the 110 V system or 240 V depending on which one you have.

Because if this does work, and I don't see why it wouldn't why wouldn't you just spend 150 or 200 bucks on the new controller and have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities with it, and you would also be able to hook up your pumps to it as well.

I'm curious if anybody here has done this already.

I don't see why it won't work, except one potential issue. The new controller uses PID algorithm, and I believe that the P.I.D. parameters are tuned to work with Grainfather's heating element and batch size. I don't know if they provide the opportunity to adjust these settings. If not, you will not get good result unless you are building a system that has similar parameters as Grainfather.

I, on the contrary, used Grainfather with my own controller, which has everything I need or I can add everything I want to.

BTW, AFAIK, the new Grainfather controller doesn't have WiFi.

Back