Grainfather Conical Transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RStolz

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I recently became the proud father (owner) of a Grainfather Conical Fermentor. Love my first use so far. However, when brewing the other day I started thinking about a less laborious way of transferring my sort from the brew kettle to the fermentor that requires less lifting and gravity feeding.

Does anyone have a good idea or ideas for transferring the chilled wort into the fermentor? A pump system? Closed transfer system? (Although unnecessary cause I’ll have to dump yeast in anyways and aerate the wor).

I know grainfather has a closed CO2 transfer system for bottling and kegging.

anyways, just some thoughts. Welcome input!
Cheers!
Rick

The kettle is just a 8 gal. SS brew kettle with a ball valve and hose barb on the front.
Right now the kettle and fermentor are within a foot of each other for transfer but ideally, if I’d love to be able to transfer over longer distances….maybe across a room? But, if anything a few feet.

You could use a pump. I have the Grainfather and run wort through the cfc then to my Cf5. Pumps make things a lot easier.

Would a pump be able to transfer from the brew kettle outside to the fermentor inside? Say….40ish feet? I mean, would the pump be that strong?

Would a pump be able to transfer from the brew kettle outside to the fermentor inside? Say….40ish feet? I mean, would the pump be that strong?

I'm not sure tbh. That's a good ways away. Maybe someone here that does this can give some advice.

Understand that. I want to move it from my brew kettle outside to my fermentor inside. Welcome any thoughts from others. I’m guesstimating the distance cause I’m not home at the time.

Can you put your fv on casters to roll? Then you could roll out to transfer via pump , then roll inside .

My fv has casters and I do the same . I prefer that over pumping a long distance. However you gotta do what works best for you.

Certainly could be an option if the long pump idea doesn’t work. Right now I just have the grainfather sitting up higher on a table for easier access to the sampling ports.

A pump is generally only restricted by the "lift" distance. How high it has to push the liquid up. 40 feet is a decently long horizontal distance but the pump should do that with ease. The distance from the floor to the inlet of your conical and the actual height of the liquid as the conical fills is the most important factor here.
I pump from my kettle to my conical over ~15-20 feet no problem with a chugger and can fill a half barrel conical with ease.
Of course, the longer your hose, the more wort will be wasted in the tubing... But thats easy enough to compensate for.

Thanks for that! Just measured and it would be about 34 feet horizontal and about seven feet of elevation at the end where the fermentor is. Just want to know if I can get a pump that would be that strong.
Also, couldn’t you just disconnect the tube at the pump and carry, dump into the fermentor?

Reading up on this, what I'm referring to as "lift" looks to be called "Head" or "Feet of Head" in pump jargon.

You haven't mentioned a specific pump so I'll refer to Chugger since that's what I have and its a popular choice. Chugger has a specs sheet that lists a max head of 18ft. So I'd expect a Chugger should have no problem filling your conical that's about 7 feet above the floor.

Referenced spec sheet for Chugger Pump.

1622899106208.png

And the Blichmann Riptide references 21 feet of head for comparison.

And sure, you could dump whats in the hose into the fermenter. But I'm not sure that would be so easy to manage given the length of the hose and other aspects of this. I think I'd just accept the loss and increase my batch size to compensate for it.

Using an online calculator for the volume of a 34 ft long 1/2" hose, it looks like that's an increase of ~.347 gallons or ~44.4 Fluid Ounces or 3.7 12oz beers!

I transfer wort from my BrewZilla to my Grainfather conical using the pump and CFC. The CFC is one of my favourite bits of gear because of how easy it makes transferring cooled wort into the fermenter. I do have them next to each other for the transfer, and I doubt the pump could push through the CFC and then a long distance into the fermenter.

Get the pressure transfer kit as well, one of my other favourite bits of gear. Once the wort is in the Grainfather my entire process is low oxygen all the way into bottle.

Back