Quantcast

Grainfather 30 L Conical Fermenter Digital Temperature Controller magnet problem

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Wizosophy

New Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
I just received my Grainfather Conical Fermenter and when setting it up I noticed that the digital temperature controller is loose when attaching it to the PCB bracket on fermenter. It clips onto the top fine, but it's almost like the magnet at the bottom is not strong enough to keep it attached. I actually removed the plate just now and it locks onto the temperature controller when the pins are not compressed. Is it possible that the magnet is just not strong enough? Or is it possible that the pins are pushing the temperature controller out too far?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Here’s a video that may help explain the issue better:
 

A-Bus

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2020
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
I have the exact same problem. It almost appears that another magnetic needs to be in the circle area of the bracket, second photo. I brought this to Grainfather's attention and they sent a second bracket. Still no magnet in the circle area. But there is a magnetic on the wired back side, but does not cause a magnetic attraction.
 

Attachments

Advance

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2019
Messages
78
Reaction score
28
I have a couple of these fermenters that I purchased back in Q1 of 2018. I do not have the same problems with the controller mount that you are experiencing. There should be two magnets, one on the back side of the detachable controller (visable), and one of the backside of the mounting base (not visable). Grab a screwdriver or some piece of ferrous metal and check if the base has a magnet at the circle in the plastic near the bottom center. If no magnet is detected, visually confirm by removing the four screws in the mounting base and gently pulling the base out from the fermenter. Beware that there are a couple of wire attached to the backside of the mounting base. If both magnets exist, it would mean that grainfather must have re-specified the strength of spring pins that are used to make the connection between controller and mount. If this is the case you might be able to solve the issue by installing a stronger magnet in the mounting base.
 

A-Bus

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2020
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
I have both magnetics just as you described. But, there is not enough pull between the two to make an actual connection. I checked and both have a decent magnetic pull. The issue seems to come from a circular plastic indentation ring (second picture with no washer) that keeps the Controller from making a good connection to the Bracket. So far the best idea (far from great) is gluing a washer in the circle to help in a weak but better magnetic connection.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Advance

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2019
Messages
78
Reaction score
28
It sounds like the my suspicion of stronger spring pins might be correct, or perhaps the use of weaker magnets. Either way, you more than likely can fix the problem by simply placing an additional magnet on the back side of the mounting base. The current magnet can be used to hold the additional one in place. The resulting increase in the magnetic field could potentially effect the function of the magnetic switches in the nearby relays. If you find this to be the case try switching the placement of the new magnet to the detachable controller side, or remove the original magnet from the mounting base side and install the new/stronger one.
 
OP
W

Wizosophy

New Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Grainfather sent me a new PCB plate and it didn’t help. Then they sent me a new digital temperature controller. That solved the problem! I definitely believe it to be the spring pins. I am pretty sure Grainfather must have re-specified the strength of spring pins that are used to make the connection between controller and the mount, as Advance was saying.
 
OP
W

Wizosophy

New Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
It sounds like the my suspicion of stronger spring pins might be correct, or perhaps the use of weaker magnets. Either way, you more than likely can fix the problem by simply placing an additional magnet on the back side of the mounting base. The current magnet can be used to hold the additional one in place. The resulting increase in the magnetic field could potentially effect the function of the magnetic switches in the nearby relays. If you find this to be the case try switching the placement of the new magnet to the detachable controller side, or remove the original magnet from the mounting base side and install the new/stronger one.
Before Grainfather fixed my problem, I actually tried to remove the magnet to replace it with a stronger one to counter act the strength of the spring pins - the glue they used was too strong for me to remove the magnet without breaking the backplate.
 
Top