Grain suggestions for Amarillo SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danek

Reaction score
I'm going to try making a Single Malt and Single Hop beer using Amarillo, and would really like some thoughts on what malt to use. I've used either Maris Otter or Golden Promise in all my previous beers, so for this one I want to go with something different. I was thinking of Munich, or possibly Vienna. I'm also considering making it even more experimental by doing a split-batch SMaSH. The idea is that one beer would be around 4% ABV and 25 IBUs, and the other half would be around 6% and 40 IBUs - those numbers are vague estimates for the moment, but the idea would be to have a similar balance in each.

As ever, any thoughts gratefully received. :mug:

Way to go Danek! Amarillo is so freakin' fine that you won't regret this!

Mine was Golden Promise, and downright delicious. Can't go wrong there. I am thinking that Vienna would work very well - but I would be hesitant to use all-Munich. The super-duper-maltiness of it might be just a bit overpowering, and some of what is fun about Amarillo is that it can be both strong and delicate at the same time.

I really like the split idea though - an American Pale and an American IPA to match each other! :)

Mine was about 5% and 35 IBUs so if you desired as such, you could make the strong variant even hoppier. Mine definitely did *not* border on an IPA at 35 IBUs. 6% and 50 IBU could be a very nice ale - somewhat restrained but still somewhat powerful.

If I weren't starting to near the bottom of my stash (started at 1lb 14oz!) I've considered making a 60-IBU All-Amarillo ale just to see how far this hop can be pushed. It's easily become my "staple" American hop.

Honestly, 2-row and Amarillo would make a tasty hoppy blonde, but I think the MO you've been using sounds best.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :mug:. MO is definitely my standard base-grain of choice, but purely for my own educational benefit I think I'm going to go with Vienna, as I've not used it before. I hadn't even thought about using Pilsner - that's a very appealing idea, so I think I'll use that for my next SMaSH (whatever that turns out to be).

OT for malts, have you thought about first wort hopping this beer?
Great idea - I'll do that. :mug:

Here are the recipes:

Vienna+Amarillo Pale Ale (2.5 gallon batch)
OG 1047, 4.5% ABV, 40 IBUs, 6 SRM
5lbs Vienna
0.5oz Amarillo FWH
1oz Amarillo @ 5
0.5oz Amarillo DH

Vienna+Amarillo IPA (2.5 gallon batch)
OG 1075, 7.2% ABV, 62 IBUs, 8SRM
8lbs Vienna
1oz Amarillo FWH
1oz Amarillo @5
0.5oz Amarillo DH

To up the Amarillity of the beer even more, I was thinking of wrapping individual Amarillo hop-pellets in saran wrap and sticking one to each bottle, to be added direct to the beer during consumption. According to this thread [ https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=75349 ] it gives extra hoppiness.

I just hope I like Amarillo, as these beers are going to reek of it :D

You will! It's great! If you like Cascade or Simcoe or any of the other citrusy American hops, you're gonna love Amarillo because it's 10 times smoother and tastier. :)

I want a drink of that IPA. ;)

I finally got round to bottling these just now. I've never used Amarillo before, but by crikey it's good - I liked the pale ale so much I had a glass of it straight from the bottling bucket. It was warm and flat, but feckin' lovely.

Congrats on the success!

Did you actually do two mashes? Why not a parti-gyle?
Thanks! Yeah, I did two mashes as I didn't think my math was up to working out how to hit my numbers for both recipes from a single mash. TBH I think SMaSH recipes are pretty forgiving, so I think going parti-gyle would work out great. Next time I'll give it a go.

Latest posts

Back