Grain substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
My LBHS doesnt carry brown malt. He suggested subbing amber malt in its place. I have a porter recipe that calls for 1lb of the brown and would like to sub 1 lb of amber in its place and add 2 ounces of carafa III dehusked to resolve the slight change in color.

#1 would the amber be an acceptable sub?
#2 is the carafa III DH a good idea?
#3 is amber malt considered a roast malt?

Amber malt doesn't taste like brown malt. It just doesn't.

Amber is a lightly roasted malt, and it does have a "tangy" flavor, sort of, like special roast in a way. It's not a sub for brown malt.

Maybe pale chocolate malt would be a closer sub?

Threads on this site and others using Google shows there is no (good choice) substitute for Brown malt.

Do you have the whole recipe? As Yooper said they are quite different, I find amber malt easy to overdo. To me it's like victory on steroids, I've overdone it before and the beer was way too toasty/dry. I usually keep it to about 3-4%. Brown on the other hand I love in porters, I use 16% in my brown porter. It adds roast, but seems to give it a richer quality than when the roast comes from all darker roasted malts. Hard to describe. But I agree a little pale chocolate may be a better sub depending on the rest of the recipe.

Back