Grain Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would either Roasted Barley 650L or Briess Black Malt 500L be a good sub for Black Patent?
If not what would be or should I stick to using Black Patent?
The 30 gallon batch calls for 3 oz of Black Patent.

The black malt would work fine. I'm assuming you've got a pretty big grain bill for that one so your probably getting primarily color from that small of an amount. If memory serves me correctly the Lovibond rating for the patent & black malt are roughly the same. I've found myself using more of the debittered Belgian black malt. I found it has way less of that acrid taste of the darker roasts.

Copbrew133 said:
The black malt would work fine. I'm assuming you've got a pretty big grain bill for that one so your probably getting primarily color from that small of an amount. If memory serves me correctly the Lovibond rating for the patent & black malt are roughly the same. I've found myself using more of the debittered Belgian black malt. I found it has way less of that acrid taste of the darker roasts.

Great thanks!

Latest posts

Back