Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some 2-row grain that has been stored in my basement in a sealed brew bucket for close to 3-years now. I see they say 6-12 month storage time for grain. Is this true? The grain still smells good. What happens to it as it ages?

Toss it? Use it?

Thanks
Mike

I have some 2-row grain that has been stored in my basement in a sealed brew bucket for close to 3-years now. I see they say 6-12 month storage time for grain. Is this true? The grain still smells good. What happens to it as it ages?

It gets stale, just like anything else.

Toss it? Use it?

Personally, I wouldn't use three year old grain. But it's up to you. It will still make beer.

i have an idea, sorry.....throw it in the oven at the lowest setting for a few hours....should freshen it up...i think in the cooking world toasting spices, they say till fragrant.....

Toss it? Use it?

Thanks
Mike

Eat a few. If it tastes like a stale cracker, it may not be good. Maybe do a one-gallon batch to see where it goes. Can't turn out any worse than Coors Banquet.

Agree with ^^
I feel the 6-12 month mark was set by the companies that sell it. Sure, it would be 'best' within that range, but cereal, crackers, and chips don't instantly turn south after the date on the box. Especially if they are stored in a sealed bucket. I would totally use it.

The fact of the matter is that the grain you are buying is probably already 2-3 years old... If you look into the farming and distribution side of things.
The #1 problem is moisture. If the grain stays dry it'll probably be fine. If you chew some kernels and they're fresh I'd brew with it.
On the other hand, I'm the type of brewer that brews once in 2-3 months so I'd want to be sure my beer turns out... #9 is what $15-20? If you can afford that loss over a 3 year period there's no crying over spilt milk.

Agree with ^^
I feel the 6-12 month mark was set by the companies that sell it. Sure, it would be 'best' within that range, but cereal, crackers, and chips don't instantly turn south after the date on the box. Especially if they are stored in a sealed bucket. I would totally use it.
Yep, I wouldn’t think twice about using it given it was well stored. Also like the idea of using it in something dark, possibly cover up anything that might be off

The fact of the matter is that the grain you are buying is probably already 2-3 years old [...]

Well, up to two anyway, according to our resident big time grain grower. So adding three years, I'd say we're talking about squirrel food by now ;)

If it smells fine, I'd use it. If you end up having to dump the beer, you're just out some effort.

And all of the ancillary costs of a brew day.

Given there's about $6 worth of base malt involved, I'd feed it to the neighbor's chickens - or local wildlife...

Cheers!

My experience is different. I've had grain in storage for 3+ years and have used it recently with excellent results. Some of the best beer I've ever made. I have them in sealed buckets with gamma seal lids.

Back