Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockn_M

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently started milling my own grains and now I'm looking at buying in bulk. The only place I can really store the grain is in the garage. I'm in North Texas were it can get 100+ with about 100% humidity for months at a time. Will it last 6-9 months?

How and where is everyone else storing their grains?

The humidity won't matter if the storage is sealed. However, storing grain at high temps doesn't strike me as the best thing to do.

I store my grain in 5-gallon buckets topped by Gamma Seal lids. They're in my basement (I live in Wisconsin) so heat is not a concern.

You might consider if there's a place inside you house to store these. Buckets can be stacked inside closets, or you can even build furniture and put them inside.

Here's my setup:

buckets.jpg

I use 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids from lowes stored in my massive keezer with the extra space available at 36f. Should last a long time in that environment.

Though the buckets arent THAT much cheaper than vittles vaults. Those are what, $30 for the size that stores 50lb? Thats the same storage as 2 5 gallon buckets and a bucket+gamma lid from lowes (cheapest around i've found) is $7.28+$3.98 for lid+bucket respectively. About $23 vs $30 for vittles. I prefer the buckets for their size/stackability in my keezer though.

Two 5 gallon buckets will hold a 50 lb sack of grain. Put a Gamma seal lid on one, and a cheap lid on the other, and stack them in a closet inside the house. The grain will keep for at least a couple of years. I just used up the last of some 2 year old malt and it worked fine.

Put the same buckets in your hot garage and I think the grain should still be good for a few months unless a rat of squirrel chews through the bucket. Daughter had a rat chew through a Vittles Vault and ruined it (the VV, not the rat.) I don't think I'd push it beyond that.

Nice, how do you get your O2 tank recharged? I looked into that briefly and it seemed you need a medical prescription for that.

The buckets work out pretty well for me as my keezer isnt quite wide enough to fit 2 side by side but the space they offset and leave empty is just perfect for fitting a keg, so little waste. But optimally i might look into making my own square ones out of wood+some kind of liner and some kind of rubber gasket for the lid so i can use my available space perfectly.

I recently started milling my own grains and now I'm looking at buying in bulk. The only place I can really store the grain is in the garage. I'm in North Texas were it can get 100+ with about 100% humidity for months at a time. Will it last 6-9 months?

I think you should be fine. Problems with grain storage generally come from high temps paired with high moisture content in the grain. Malt has such a low moisture content (3-4%) compared to raw barley (12-14%), and raw barley can withstand decently high temps for months. That being said, I haven't personally stored malt at the temps you're talking about.

Of course, storing it inside in a cooler space would be preferable if you can swing it.

I would push for taking space in a closet that's conditioned over the garage. Maybe it's a good time to make a trip to Goodwill to make room for more important things. A couple of 5G buckets stacked doesn't take up that much room. You could get a bulk sack of base malt and then just get smaller quantities of others as you need them.

Time to get creative...a 5G bucket in that spare bedroom closet. Another in the back of the closet that no one wants to clean. You'll figure something out.

I would push for taking space in a closet that's conditioned over the garage. Maybe it's a good time to make a trip to Goodwill to make room for more important things. A couple of 5G buckets stacked doesn't take up that much room. You could get a bulk sack of base malt and then just get smaller quantities of others as you need them.

Time to get creative...a 5G bucket in that spare bedroom closet. Another in the back of the closet that no one wants to clean. You'll figure something out.

To extend this: one of the least-used areas in a home is the space above the door INSIDE a closet. Put a shelf up there and you can store all kinds of stuff leaving floor space for buckets.

I'm looking at the sofa/couch in my living room right now; I believe i could put 4 buckets behind it if I just pulled it out about 2 inches from the wall.

You can make a coffee table out of some kind of flat stock, where the "legs" are boxes built to accommodate 5-gallon buckets.

There are a lot of ways to discover space we don't use much. My favorite, other than the shelf above the closet door, is to use two 5-gallon buckets as a night stand. A bit of round flat stock on top as a tabletop, then cover w/ a sheet or cloth or whatever that drapes to the floor. Voila! Nightstand doubling as beer grain storage!

Hi. I know a lot of folks like buckets/gamma lids & Vittles Vaults, but I like the Ziploc/Iris Weatherguard totes. They have a rubber seal on the lid and come in several sizes. The two sizes I use are 11 gal (holds exactly 53# malt) and the 15 gal (easily holds 60+#.) Best of all, they're about $15.00 and you can get them at Wally World or big box home store. There's also a dark/opaque version if you don't like clear.
Ed
:mug:

ETA: BTW, I live in the Memphis area where it gets plenty hot & humid in the garage, and I haven't had a problem yet. Look at the dates on my grain.

Grain box.jpg

To extend this: one of the least-used areas in a home is the space above the door INSIDE a closet. Put a shelf up there and you can store all kinds of stuff leaving floor space for buckets.

I'm looking at the sofa/couch in my living room right now; I believe i could put 4 buckets behind it if I just pulled it out about 2 inches from the wall.

You can make a coffee table out of some kind of flat stock, where the "legs" are boxes built to accommodate 5-gallon buckets.

There are a lot of ways to discover space we don't use much. My favorite, other than the shelf above the closet door, is to use two 5-gallon buckets as a night stand. A bit of round flat stock on top as a tabletop, then cover w/ a sheet or cloth or whatever that drapes to the floor. Voila! Nightstand doubling as beer grain storage!

Logic and efficiency. This kind of intelligent and efficient use of things turns me on :)

Logic and efficiency. This kind of intelligent and efficient use of things turns me on :)

I was poised to "like" this post, but something....something....is holding me back. :)

Hi. I know a lot of folks like buckets/gamma lids & Vittles Vaults, but I like the Ziploc/Iris Weatherguard totes. They have a rubber seal on the lid and come in several sizes. The two sizes I use are 11 gal (holds exactly 53# malt) and the 15 gal (easily holds 60+#.) Best of all, they're about $15.00 and you can get them at Wally World or big box home store. There's also a dark/opaque version if you don't like clear.
Ed

ETA: BTW, I live in the Memphis area where it gets plenty hot & humid in the garage, and I haven't had a problem yet. Look at the dates on my grain.

Hmmmm...I actually have a couple of those, never occurred to me to use them for grain storage. Once nice thing about rectangular storage is the space is used more efficiently than does round storage like buckets.

Ed

Interesting. Are those completely air tight? Those would fit in my keezer pretty well, probably better than the buckets and they're much cheaper. My walmart has the 44 quarts for $11 which considering id need 2 buckets+gamma lids is half the price (little less actually).

Interesting. Are those completely air tight? Those would fit in my keezer pretty well, probably better than the buckets and they're much cheaper. My walmart has the 44 quarts for $11 which considering id need 2 buckets+gamma lids is half the price (little less actually).
I wouldn't say completely air tight (unless you could pull a vacuum in one to seal the lid,) but I've found when I stack them, the weight on the lid keeps a pretty good seal. If you were really worried about a little moisture ingress, you could always put some desiccant/dehumidifier packs in there.
Ed

Ed

I like this idea. Looks like the office closet is getting reorganized.

Since this has turned partly into a storage thread....here are a couple other ideas where you can reclaim space by moving things up and out of the way...

While this won't work in places where construction doesn't include exposed joists, anywhere with basements and exposed joists will find this easily done:

Buy or rip some 3/4 x 3/4 stock (nominal 1"), predrill holes for either screws or nails, and affix them to the bottom of the joists as cleats on which "shelving" can rest. I used some scrap plywood in one pic. I also use thinner material like 1/4" pegboard depending on the weight above as well as how close that weight comes to the cleats to support the weight.

Depending on the circumstance I number the little shelves so I can have a list of what's up there and where it is. I'm not storing stuff I need daily, but they're things that take up space nonetheless. Especially bulky items like wads for reloading shotgun shells are perfect for this.

joiststore.jpg

joiststore2.jpg

joiststore3.jpg

The other pic here I've posted earlier in the thread; it's a rolling set of shelves inspired by storage places such as libraries or where there are a ton of files, such that they have rolling or sliding shelving/filing that butts up against each other. The result is only one aisle, and the shelves/filing cabinets are moved back and forth to create an aisle where you need it.

I needed more shelf space in my basement and I was running out of places to do it. So I built a rolling shelf arrangement that nests against my other brewing equipment. When I need something I just roll it out into the walkway, and I then have access to what's behind as well as on the shelves.

Money-saving suggestion: I never buy swivel casters by themselves; virtually all home-depot and farm store types of places sell furniture dollies that have those casters already on them, for much less than you'd buy those casters individually. I'll either make the rolling shelves directly on the furniture dolly or remove them and reapply. Cheap, easy, and they work.

buckets.jpg

With storing grain for long periods had any one had issues with grain wevels or other pests?
I guess I'm lucky as I haven't. I think the nature of the storage totes with the seal in the rim prevents them from crawling in while it's close/sealed. I guess if your grain came already infested, or you somehow added something that had the weevil eggs, you could have a problem.
Ed

Ed

I have one of those and they work great!

With storing grain for long periods had any one had issues with grain wevels or other pests?

We had a ton or rain all spring so the flies and moths have been horrendous all summer. Had a moth infestation in the kitchen cupboards - they got into just about all of the snap-locked plastic containers. Had to throw a lot of food stuff out.

When I checked my grains, the 20L pails and had no moths, but they did get into some carapils. I had to throw 2 kilos of the stuff out because they were all through the container. I've resorted to using snap-lock bags for smaller amounts of grain while larger amounts stay in pails. A few weeks in and no more moths.

We had a ton or rain all spring so the flies and moths have been horrendous all summer. Had a moth infestation in the kitchen cupboards - they got into just about all of the snap-locked plastic containers. Had to throw a lot of food stuff out.

When I checked my grains, the 20L pails and had no moths, but they did get into some carapils. I had to throw 2 kilos of the stuff out because they were all through the container. I've resorted to using snap-lock bags for smaller amounts of grain while larger amounts stay in pails. A few weeks in and no more moths.

How do they manage to get into snap-lock plastic containers (I assume you mean your classic tupperware)? Is there a tiny space between the lid and container?

I've got the Iris/Ziploc bin too and it works great. When I use ziploc bags, I keep them in a hard plastic container for protection against rodents.

How do they manage to get into snap-lock plastic containers (I assume you mean your classic tupperware)? Is there a tiny space between the lid and container?

I've got the Iris/Ziploc bin too and it works great. When I use ziploc bags, I keep them in a hard plastic container for protection against rodents.

I use both traditional tupperware and containers with snap-locks on the side: https://www.bigw.com.au/product/sistema-klip-it-containers-6-pack/p/WCC100000000251596/

The moths can get into just about anything, even less than a millimeter-wide gap, and lay larvae. They're annoying little bastards. I'm considering getting a few smaller pails (I think they're 5L) to keep the smaller amounts of grains in. They seal like no tomorrow and they stack well.

I live in North Texas, I get by using the gamma lids and 5 gallon food grade buckets stored in my garage. Each bag of grain I buy lasts 6-12 months and in the summer we regularly hit the high 90s - low 100s (we have very low humidity though). I've never had any issues and I don't taste a noticeable difference between the grain when I buy it and the stuff I use 6 months later.

For what it's worth, I went the five gallon bucket/gamma seal route. I ended up ordering from http://beprepared.com/ as they had some of the best prices I was able to find. They do have a large 'EMERGENCY ESSENTIALS' logo on the side, so visitors who see them ask if I'm preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse. I tell them yeah, I'm stashing grain so I can brew Zombie Dust for years.

I was thinking about trying one of those vacuum space saver bags over top of the bag the grain came in. I found moths in a bag of two row that were kept in a cheap tote once.

Back