Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homer Buckets from Home Depot. $4 with lid, airtight and food grade and stackable. A 55lb sack will fit in 2 of them with about 2-4lbs left over. Perfect storage in my opinion.

i use buckets. Work great. Just label the outside of them and its quick and easy.
Plus its a good way how to judge how much you got left and when to get your next order in :)

I used to keep them in a trash bag kept in a Rubbermaid bin. Worked fine until the mice found it. Rubbermaid bins are not mouse proof. Now I keep it in pet food containers with an anti-desiccant. I don't think that mice would be able to get into that.

-a.

I used to keep them in a trash bag kept in a Rubbermaid bin. Worked fine until the mice found it. Rubbermaid bins are not mouse proof. Now I keep it in pet food containers with an anti-desiccant. I don't think that mice would be able to get into that.

-a.

If it's plastic, mice can and will find their way in, provided that they can smell it.

Bulk sacks are in my broken drop freezer in the garage. Dry as a bone, and nothing can get into it. All others are vac bag sealed in a hutch where I can located what I need.

If it's plastic, mice can and will find their way in, provided that they can smell it.

Perhaps eventually, but it is a rigid plastic with a seal around the lid, unlike the Rubbermaid which had a loose fitting lid and no seal. I suspect the original mice infestation was caused by the loose Rubbermaid lid allowing the delightful aromas of Maris Otter to escape.

-a.

Homer Buckets from Home Depot. $4 with lid, airtight and food grade and stackable. A 55lb sack will fit in 2 of them with about 2-4lbs left over. Perfect storage in my opinion.

Are they food grade?

I didn't think they were!

Are they food grade?

I didn't think they were!

For storage it would not matter, the grain will be milled the sparged and the wort will be boiled . IMHO, I don't see any reason the storage container of un-milled grain needs to be "food safe"

Sorry RScottyL, I see your weren't stating they wouldn't work for storage of grain, but just clarifying that they were not "food grade". My mistake.

i really hate the term food grade
people are so sketchy and sheep like

uh is my wooden spoon food grade?
quick call the FDA and ask!!

Latest posts

Back