Grain steeping temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodbyebluesky82

Reaction score
I've read from various sources on HBT that grains should be steeped anywhere from between 150-170 degrees.

I just realized (by looking at the directions on my latest LHBS kit) that they are telling me to remove them at the moment I achieve boil. That would mean I am steeping grains at 200+ temps, is that okay/not so good/bad/really bad?

I don't want to get tannins and crap in there I don't want.

Should I throw my thermometer in there and remove grains when I reach 160 ish?

There are two schools of thought. One says steep at a set temp for a set time. The other method is to pull them when the boil starts. I think the steep for a set temp at a set time makes more sense. you have more control. So if it says 30 minutes at 155F you hold it at 155 for 30 minutes and then pull the grains and bring it to a boil.

Well, I was in the middle of steeping when I read what the directions said and realized the disparity between that and what I have read here on HBT.

Anyway, I gradually brought the 3 gallon wort up to 160 degrees, which took at least 30-35 minutes and thats where I pulled the grains out before I cranked the heat to bring it to a boil. (*its now boiling with the hops added*)

Maybe I didn't get quite *everything* from it but it was quite a bit of grain, and I seem to have pulled a ton of color from it. So it appears good and I avoided any chance of tannins due to high temps.

By pulling it out so soon, you will still get flavor and a nice fresh tasted added in, but little of the starches would have converted and been extracted.
Next time I would recommend letting it steep at 150F for 30 minutes.

I used to put the grains in cold water and add heat. When the water starts throwing off steam (160F) remove bag.

Back