Grain shelf life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSArider

Reaction score
Is there a shelf life for crushed grain? I'm going to have 3/4 of a lb of Weyermann smoked malt left over from this comming weekends brewing session. If its sealed up tight how long will it stay "good"? If its a short time, anybody got any good extract recipes that call for it:)
Thanks

It'll go stale if it's stored at room temp for more than a few weeks. Keep it in the freezer to store it longer.

my LHBS guy literally said "until it gets bugs in it" when we asked him the other day. :shrug:
We just brewed a Scottish Ale with grains we've had since december, so we'll see how that turns out. :fingerscrossed:

I kept mine in the top of my pantry for about a month and a half in a simple tupperware container. Brewed with it this past weekend and it was perfectly fine.

To elaborate on some of the things that were mentioned, crushed grain stored dry and cool will stay good for several months, but its quality will degrade with time as it absorbs moisture and oxygen. I prefer crushing my grain immediately before brewing to lock in as many of the more volatile aromatics into the mash (or steep) as possible. When this is not feasible, I recommend vacuum sealing at least the specialty malts in your recipes to slow down staling. An inexpensive vacuum sealer is a very good investment for a homebrewer.
You can still make very good beer with old crushed grains though. I have done it, and the difference is fairly subtle in most styles. But as you improve your skills and try to make the best possible beer you can, fresh or vacuum sealed and frozen ingredients are the only way to go.

I would worry more about it losing the smokey flavor then going bad. Not sure if it being crushed would dissipate the smokey flavor of the grain.

How about uncrushed grain? I bought some in October planning to brew, but with the birth of my son at the end of October......what was I thinking. Well, I'm getting close again to doing a batch. It has been stored in my pantry which probably gets temperatures between 68 - 72 F. I think all the grain is in plastic bags as they were at my LHBS.

B00005MF92.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

one of these...

and your freezer - all set for a long time!

Back