grain sell. what should i get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
my lhbs is having a grain sale. by 55# bags, and get it half price. i'm super low on funds right now, and want to take advantage of this, and brew some beer!

i'm thinking to go the cheapest route, i should do several SmAsH brews, but i'm curious on some opinions/suggestions on what you all think.

right now i'm considering buying a 55lb bag of maris otter crushed, and quite a bit of cascade hops, and doing 5 batches of that, with the total grain bill of 11lb's of maris otter with various hop additions of the cascade for each brew.

what i'd like though, is something less i.p.a.-ish, and something more german, darker, porter, stout, etc, more wintery.

anybody know of any good SmAsH recipes that would fit that better?
thanks!
:ban:

I just stocked up with bags of Marris Otter, Castle Pils, and Rahr 2-row.

The biggest savings you will get will be on the Marris Otter or Pils. They run a pretty good bag price on the Rahr 2-row year long. Also some decent discounts on 5# lots of Crystals, Munich, Vienna, etc.

I also think GFI will let you bring the grain back in to be crushed so it is fresh before each brew.

If you are looking at German type beers, Pils and Munich are going to be your go to grains. The nice thing about Munich is you can always add a pound or so of it to just about anything. I typically keep these two and Maris Otter around and supplement it with whatever else I need from the LHBS.

I believe if you buy it crushed you might have one heck of a time using it all before it might go south.. I'd get uncrushed and ask the lhbs if you can come back and crush it. Same with hops.. you might have to consider vacuum packaging and freezing... but, what do I know :)

Latest posts

Back