Grain scale recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ski12568

Reaction score
Looking to get a scale to measure some grains and was looking to see what you all recommend. Prefer to buy it on Amazon. I've seen a lot of nice ones for around 20$ but I don't trust the reviews. Thanks

I just use a digital kitchen scale I bought local, couldn't have been more then 20$. Does the trick for what I need, it doesn't measure grams but reads 1/10 ounces. I haven't come to a situation where I've needed grams though.

Just make sure you get one that supports the max amount of grain you will use. Some smaller postal/package scales won't go high enough if you're trying to weigh 50 #'s of grain.

I use an older UPS scale that has a large enough base that when I put a brewing bucket on top of it, I can still easily see the display while I'm pouring grain. A remote display helps in this also. The main point with that is make sure you get a decent sized one so you can put a bucket on it and still see the display.

I picked mine up at Aldi for $8.99, 11 lbs. max, grams and fractions of oz. too. Use it for my hops and grains. I weigh my grain out in a shoebox style rubbermaid that will only hold 7 or 8 lbs anyway.

LOL, I do half barrel batches and I hit 50 lbs for big beers. My 20 gallon Blichmann MLT is filled to within an inch of the top. The Monster Mill with extended hopper holds somewhere around 40 lbs.

Yeah you dont need it to read up to your entire grain bill. I weigh my grain in like 3-4lb increments. I got mine at wal-mart in the kitchen section

I'm liking the postal scale, would be convenient to weigh in the bucket. Thanks

In my situation, my grain scale is good for up to 80 lbs. Like JonW it works out well for my system at 2/3 barrel brewing. It also works well for kegging, as it easier to fill by weight. @ Jon, nice SRT. It is the opposite of mine.

Here's the one I use, from Amazon with free shipping.

It weighs well beyond any max weight I'll ever hit, the base easily hold a grain bucket, and the display is removable so you can move it around.

After purchasing it I also realized it is the same one that my LHBS has 3 of in their grain room. Not sure how I didn't recognize that before ordering, but that gave me some level of assurance on my purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the one I use, from Amazon with free shipping.

It weighs well beyond any max weight I'll ever hit, the base easily hold a grain bucket, and the display is removable so you can move it around.

I've got this one too and I like it a lot. Amazon also has the 35 lb model for $27 which appears to have the same removable display (very handy feature).

In my situation, my grain scale is good for up to 80 lbs. Like JonW it works out well for my system at 2/3 barrel brewing. It also works well for kegging, as it easier to fill by weight.

I forgot about weighing kegs... also CO2 tanks (it's the ONLY way to know how much CO2 you have). More reasons for a scale that is capable of more than just a couple pounds.

@ Jon, nice SRT. It is the opposite of mine.
Cool...you mean black? Any power adders? I'm running an Edelbrock blower on mine. :) (Sorry OP for the off-topic chatter ;) )

If you are not opposed to Harbor Freight Tools, I am getting this one. Measures grams, ounces, and pounds.

Even has reviews from home brewers.
http://m.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html

I have this one also. I checked it by online conversion of a number of coins. It is accurate by that measure.

It measures pounds grams and ounces to .1.

I have a bowl that holds about 2 pounds. I measure a bowl put it in a bucket until I have that grain then start on the next. I also use it for hops. It works very well.

Here is the one i got.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JQTVLY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

75lb capacity is enough for everything i want to weigh that's brewing related. Detachable display, optional AC adapter was reasonable. I also have a luggage scale that would work. It was inexpensive, 50lb capacity and could easily be used with a bucket to measure out grain.

I got this one and I hang my bucket on the hook. Works great, has a tare feature:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JA5U88/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Scale.JPG

I have this one also. I checked it by online conversion of a number of coins. It is accurate by that measure.

It measures pounds grams and ounces to .1.

I have a bowl that holds about 2 pounds. I measure a bowl put it in a bucket until I have that grain then start on the next. I also use it for hops. It works very well.

Thanks for letting me know you use it and like it. Online reviews are very helpful, don't get me wrong, but it's nice to get an off the cuff review from someone who uses it as well.

Seriously, that is genius! Now I have to wait until I run out and get it refilled so I can figure out what my tank weighs full!

I believe each tank will have the tare weight stamped on it. Find that and subtract it from the current weight to calculate how much co2 you have.

Doesn't your regulator on the tank have a dual gauge to show tank pressure?

The tank pressure gauge doesn't tell you anything useful, until just before you run out of CO2. For anything other than an almost empty tank, most of the CO2 in the tank is liquid (at least below about 87°F.) When there is liquid present, the pressure is dependent only on the tank temperature, and not how much liquid is in it. That's why the pressure in the tank drops if you put the tank in the keg cooler.

Look at the chart below. The curves are flat for each temperature over the fill range where both liquid and gas are present. On the left side of the chart the curves drop off towards 0. The drops start at the point where all of the liquid is gone. The right side of the chart shows what happens if you over fill the tank. Overfill gets to be an issue if the tank is warm.

co2pv.gif

Brew on :mug:

Hm interesting. Makes sense, but you're gauge will atleast start registering something useful between 0-30% full depending on your temps. All I know is when the needle goes in the red I'll worry about getting it filled!

Out of your budget, but I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJMTNA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I actually didn't know how much it cost because it was a gift. I was surprised to see the price just now. Maybe I should thank Santa again soon.

The selling point for me (I was using it for baking and cooking before) was this:
1/8-oz (US) and 1-g (metric) increments for greater accuracy

But it is $50, I don't think I get why. I do love it. It also weighs my beers that I pack up and send to people. :D

I bought a digital one from Walmart for 20 bucks that goes up to 10 pounds in pounds, kilos, grams & ounces. It also measures in tenths of an ounce.

Hm interesting. Makes sense, but you're gauge will atleast start registering something useful between 0-30% full depending on your temps. All I know is when the needle goes in the red I'll worry about getting it filled!

If the tank's in the cooler, it may be in/near the red zone event when full (depending on gauge accuracy and temp.) Also, while at cooler temps, it won't register until you're down to about 15% or below.

It's all making sense now, I'm on my first tank and i had it in the cooler for a week before I hooked it up. Well when I finally did the gauge shot to half full and I thought I got screwed. Well its been in the half full position for 3 months now and hasn't budged!

It's all making sense now, I'm on my first tank and i had it in the cooler for a week before I hooked it up. Well when I finally did the gauge shot to half full and I thought I got screwed. Well its been in the half full position for 3 months now and hasn't budged!

Just the way it's supposed to work. And you thought chemistry & physics weren't important to your adult life. :D

Back