Grain ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joker

Reaction score
Is there a certain ratio between say 2-row and the grains that need the base malts in order to convert? For instance 2-row, wheat malt, and honey malt if I had one pound of each does this work or is there a different ratio needed?

*edit* not sure if that was very clear, just want to verify a certain ratio is needed to get the proper conversion out of the grains.

GaryA said:
Is there a certain ratio between say 2-row and the grains that need the base malts in order to convert? For instance 2-row, wheat malt, and honey malt if I had one pound of each does this work or is there a different ratio needed?

*edit* not sure if that was very clear, just want to verify a certain ratio is needed to get the proper conversion out of the grains.

I don't know precisely, but something like 10:1 base/specialty would be reasonable.
Not necessarily because honey malt is less diastatic than 2-row (how much less I'm unsure) but because 1:1 would be a bit on the RICH side.

For example I would not use more than a pound of crystal malt for a five gallon batch. Think of it like a bowl of ice cream. Vanilla ice cream might not be all that exiting by it's self, but adding an equal portion of chocolate sauce is over doing it. Less is more, know what I mean?

The parameter you need to look at is diastatic power - this is a value that represents the quantity of enzymes in a grain. A diastatic power of 35 degrees Lintner is about sufficient for a malt to convert itself only - if it is higher, it can also convert some other grains, and if it is lower, it will need other grains to convert it. Base malt has a very high diastatic power, some malted adjuncts have about enough power to convert themselves, and many adjuncts have little to no diastatic power.

I do not know the details of how to calculate grain ratios based on diastatic power, because I've never "pushed the limits" so to speak, but I am certain you can dig something up if you google it.

D'oh I just realized that I didn't mention this is for a partial mash. I have wheat dry extract but also have some grains I was going to use. The reciped called for 6-row and wheat, I am thinking of using 2-row, wheat, and some left over honey that I have.

I will check out the numbers some more but it sounds like 1 pound 2 row, .5 wheat, and .5 honey might be a reasonable way to go?

A reasonable rule of thumb is that most modern 2-row can convert an equal weight of fermentables so 50:50 should be fine. As pointed out above some specialty grains have some diastatic power so higher ratios could be used if they were part of the mash.

GT

For PM, I just add up the all of the specialty grains and use that much 2-row. Over-kill on diastatic power, but it always converts and 2-row is cheap.

2 row is usually cheaper than extract, so I'd just put in as much as you can mash if you're using it as your main base grain. In this case, I'd use as much wheat and 2 row as you could to keep costs down.

Well since this was a quick and last minute idea I went with the dry wheat extract, 1lb 2 row, and .5 pound wheat. I ran the numbers on using everything and it was getting to be pretty big for a wheat beer. With a little luck and some parts gathering this will be my last brew made with extract. The difference in crush from the brew shop to BC was amazing.

Back