Grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I just opened up my container that has all my left over grains and hops. I have a decent amount of Crystal 20 and Crystal 60, both of which have been put it flavor saver vacuum bags and sealed. I dated them both, well actually my wife did, and they both say 7-22. I am assuming that is last year, so my question is, are they still ok to use? My hops were probably vacuum sealed the same time. Any input is most appreciated.

Temp and humidity are the two big factors in staling grains, as well as hops.
Having them vac sealed is quite good and I'd bet the grains have no detectable difference from just bought. The hops may lose some alpha acid potency but I've used year(s) old hops just fine for flavor, but I do keep them cold. You don't say what temp you've stored these things at. But if you open a bag of hops and they do not smell like cheesy or nothing at all, you're likely fine.

Same as above. I have grains that are going on 3 years old (seals containers, room temp) and hops that are about the same age (vac bags in the freezer) and no issues. On the older hops, I will add a bit more than called for.

If your malts were stored in a container with a good fitting lid or a plastic bag that was sealed well then they are probably good to go if they still look, feel and smell like they did when you got them.

The hops I'm assuming are pellet form, I'd look for color changes in them from what you remember them being as well as trust your nose. I'd be less certain of hops going that long if they were opened and resealed and not kept in the freezer.

I'm just chiming in with pretty much the same as has been said above.. I keep my hops in the fridge, and try to keep grain in the freezer, but I've had vacuum sealed grain (even milled once), sit at room temp for nearly a year and it still hits the mark and tastes fine. (..though that milled one could tasted a bit better)

Back