grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven77

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a used barley crusher malt mill for a good price and have 2 questions.
How long can I store grain uncrushed to ensure freshness? Like if I ordered an all grain kit from northern Brewer or Midwest supplies?
And any maintenance tips to ensure it runs well and lasts awhile?

If you have a mill you would save quite a bit by buying sacks of grain.

I store mine in 2gal freezer bags to keep them fresh. Then in storage containers in the closet to keep the mice out.

Airtight rubbermaid dogfood containers...holds more than a 50 pound bag...and you can see the level of the grain when youre starting to run low. Plus they are mouse/bug proof..or at least mine have.

You could order a desicant (spelled right?) from online or cigar shops if worried about moisture each time you open it.

Unless you are buying grains by the pallet, you will not have a problem with freshness as long as you store them properly. eg a 50 lb sack is 5ish 5 gallon batches.

In terms of savings - meh. If you can get in on a group buy or have a local source, you could save a bit. If not, shipping eats up a good chunk of the "savings". As far as my house goes, my wife would rather I spend a couple extra bucks a batch than store 50 lb sacks of grain in the pantry.

Airtight rubbermaid dogfood containers...holds more than a 50 pound bag...and you can see the level of the grain when youre starting to run low. Plus they are mouse/bug proof..or at least mine have.

You could order a desicant (spelled right?) from online or cigar shops if worried about moisture each time you open it.

Wallyworld sells some great dog food containers that work great for grain!

If you have a mill you would save quite a bit by buying sacks of grain.

I store mine in 2gal freezer bags to keep them fresh. Then in storage containers in the closet to keep the mice out.

VERY VERY KEY. If you live in the country or forest regions, you must keep your grains in some sort of locked container. A cardboard box will not do. I had 2x 50lb sacs of malt barley I was plating in my yard. A mouse got into it and somehow ate probably 5lbs worth of it over the summer until I smelled something funny, and looked into my fermenter one day and there the mouse was, semi rotted, actually looked like a cracked egg.

Had to crack a beer after that one.

Back