Grain order mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomofett

Reaction score
So, all my orders are through a website in a foreign language, so mistakes are made quite a bit.

On this order I clicked the wrong button and 11kg of my grains came whole instead of crushed and I have no crusher and they are super expensive here. I do 1-2 gallon BIAB and I have heard mixed things about crushing grains so my question is; does anyone have any ideas for me how to crush this? I have heard that just crushing with a rolling pin is a pain and these are the base grains for my next 8 batches so I don't want to resort to that. Would a coffee grinder work? I thought I read that too fine of a crush is ok with BIAB. The closest homebrew shop is 3 hours and 100$ away so that's not an option.

Thanks

yes ,that looks fine.just check that all the graan is broken.
you can crush realy fine with biab
succes

If you can, sift out the finely-ground stuff and re-blend the whole grains that make it through the blender intact, otherwise you're going to get noticeably lower efficiency because it's likely a decent amount of your grains will be unmilled.

I also do 2 gallon batches and lately have been using the blender and making my grain into flour. Eff went up to about 85%. Go for it. Blend into powder.

By the way, you are better off buying un ground grains. This way they will last longer before use.

Cool, I've heard that it doesn't matter if they are pretty much flour with BIAB so I'll give that a try, yeah, if it does work then I will just buy unground grains.

Cool, I've heard that it doesn't matter if they are pretty much flour with BIAB so I'll give that a try, yeah, if it does work then I will just buy unground grains.

I grind my grains much finer than most non-BIAB brewers, probably 30-40% flour and the rest small chunks of grain and hulls, and things typically go pretty well. However, there's a point at which it gets problematic: my last two brewdays involved a big black IPA with two kilograms of commercial rye flour (because rye malt is unavailable here) and an oatmeal stout with a healthy dose of flaked oats. Both of them had draining problems, especially the black IPA. You can get a lot of flour in a BIAB bag and still have a good brewday, but there is definitely such thing as a BIAB stuck sparge/drain.

I just used Rye flour in my last one as well, I'm in your neck of the woods in Japan; not a lot of variety available.

I just used Rye flour in my last one as well, I'm in your neck of the woods in Japan; not a lot of variety available.

I guessed so, from the "Tetsujin" in your signature.

I'm surprised there's not much variety in Japan. There's certainly a very active group of Japan brewers here on the site. I'm not the only China guy here by any means, but there's not really a cohesive China presence here on the site, though I wish there were.

Back