Grain Mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I'm looking to get my own grain mill. The LHBS nearest to me is about 5 minutes away, but their mill is horrible. It's set whete it's set and cannot be asjusted. I never get above 65% efficiency when I use it. They dont sell precrushed 2 row, and they only sell in 10lb, 5lb, or 1lb incriments. There is another one I like, but it's about 45 min away. They sell precrushed 2row, and I can buy whatever increment I need of any grain. I get 82-86% efficiency consistently when I go there. By the time I go, crush my grain and drive home, it's 2 hours+
This is my long-winded way of asking people's advice on mills. Northern Brewer sells them, but they are $150ish, and I'd like to go cheaper than that if I can.

You can go cheaper and there are inexpensive "mills" out ther but you sound like you want quality, consistent crushes. Pony up the money for a good mill, it'll make you happy in the long run.

I would like some sort of consistency, yes. The only place I've ever seen mills for sale is Northern Brewer. Most of their stuff is great in price. However, their dual tap towers are $150, and I got mine from Beverage Factory for $99. Are there places where they arent as much? That's more what I meant.

You'll get plenty of people voicing their thoughts on mills. You'll get everything from the ugly Corona mill users to those using the svelte mills like the ones from Monster Brewing Hardware... Personally, I have the MM2-2.0 model and LOVE it... 2" diameter, 6" long hardened steel rollers make short work of the grain. Plus I went with their base, hopper and hopper extension. Meaning, I had everything I needed to mill arrive in one box. The hopper, fully assembled, allows me to mill up to 39 pounds of grain at a time. I forget what their standard hopper capacity is, but you could get that and add the extension later if you wish.

I'll also say that the customer service/support from Monster is top shelf. Fred is really helpful and goes out of his way to ensure you're pleased with the purchase, and the product.

For reference, I started with a Barley Crusher mill and liked it. That was, until I started brewing the batches like I do now, and got tired of filling the 7# capacity hopper several times while milling. Now, I can dump the entire grain bill into the hopper and mill away.

Also, my brew buddy has a C&S mill, with the smaller diameter, and shorter (1.25" x 5" I believe)... My monster mill dwarfs his mill. :rockin: It also makes the BC look like a toy when comparing them.

While my setup wasn't cheap, I look at it as a long-term investment. I expect to be able to run many thousands of pounds of grain through it without issue. Especially with the hardened rollers. Those will last longer than stainless rollers. :ban:

Love my barley crusher!! I picked mine of for about $120. But I was seeing some other crushers for under hundred. Like the cereal killer and others. and you can not go wrong with the corona mill. I love being able to buy bulk grain and crush my own!! one of the best investments in this hobby/obsession!!

Happy Brewing

mike

You'll get plenty of people voicing their thoughts on mills. You'll get everything from the ugly Corona mill users to those using the svelte mills like the ones from Monster Brewing Hardware... Personally, I have the MM2-2.0 model and LOVE it... 2" diameter, 6" long hardened steel rollers make short work of the grain. :

I kind of resent being called ugly:mug:

Golddigge, You speak any more affectionately about that mill and I swear your sleeping with it:mug:

Depending on your connections you could always build one. I am working on that now and will have something shortly that is 3, 2" rollers 8" long (similar to the MM3)... I should be able to crush grains faster than most commercial mills that are available to home brewers. (not that it matters) I have about $70 in materials in it and quite a bit of time so its probably cheaper/ easier to just get a monster.

Back