Grain Mill Spit An O' Ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My grain mill on my last brew spit an O'ring. My type of grain mill is a BARLEY CRUSHER MALT MILL model # 50125A, I have only milled about 200 lbs give or take through it.....

So.. Is this going to be a problem (missing O'ring), is this a fixer or should I try and send it back.

Anyone with a fix or solution please:rockin:

My grain mill on my last brew spit an O'ring. My type of grain mill is a BARLEY CRUSHER MALT MILL model # 50125A, I have only milled about 200 lbs give or take through it.....

So.. Is this going to be a problem (missing O'ring), is this a fixer or should I try and send it back.

Not a problem. The instructions even mention that the o-ring will eventually fall off, and many people deliberately remove it before use. Frankly, I'm not sure why they even put it on there, perhaps just to test that both rollers are turning freely when the crank is turned. In normal operation, the grain itself will turn the unpowered roller.

The first thing I did when i got my Barley Crusher was to remove the O ring. Don't sweat it. It will still work just fine.

I removed mine before I used the mill for the first time.

ETA:
Now that I think about it, it was after I used it the first time, and I remember wondering how long it would last. Then I remember the problems I had with those stupid friggin' grommets in the minuscule hole for the airlock in an Ale Pail lid. You shove the airlock in the hole and are rewarded with the grommet either shearing off in the middle, or simply getting pushed through the hole, but either way you've got a piece of black rubber drifting around in your wort! Since it's usually the beginning brewers who have this problem, it's usually the ones who freak out about it the most as well.
***Drill out the hole in the lid, get a drilled stopper and lose the grommet permanently***
***Tear off that useless O ring and forget it was ever there***

Back