Grain mill safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frige

Reaction score
I was brewing last weekend. As I reached in the cabinet to pull the 5 gal bucket out a spark came off my finger a inch long. Woah my heart skipped a beat. I havent cleaned the flour dust out for a while so I got my brushes out and I got quite a large pile. Probably close to a pound.
Should I worry? I know grain mills do blow up from time to time, or is mine to small to worry about.

Grain dust on the floor isn't a huge issue when it comes to explosive potential. A 1lb pile if ignited by a flame would likely make some nasty smoke though. It's more an issue when you have a lot of fine grain particles floating around in the air in just the right concentration. On a home brewing scale this is virtually impossible to achieve. On an industrial scale, well, accidents happen every year.

One of my projects for this year is to build something to attach my shop vac to my grain mill while i'm milling to collect the dust. My motivation for this is so i can do it inside, cleanly and to keep the dust down since I am ridiculously allergic to grain dust. If I have one instance of smelling grain dust during the brew day a few hours later my lungs close up and I wheeze for days.

Nice looking mill! The enclosure I assume makes it hard to clean out. Do you have an air compressor? Vacuum cleaner might get filter clogged. Not sure if that enclosed space with motor inside increases concentration of airborne particles?

If you were really determined, you might be able to isolate the motor in a near air tight plexiglass box and seal the seams or something, but not sure what the actual hazard is. Sounds like was probably static electricity. My mill is on a cart and I roll it outdoors and mill outside. I brush the dust off as best I can with a small dustpan type brush. It's still fairly messy.

TD

I am sure it was static electricity. For some reason the grain was dryer than normal and the husks were floating around the bucket. I am sure nothing to worry about, I just get paranoid sometimes. ;)

As was mentioned in an above post, grain dust will burn, but for it to explode, you need 3 things - particles in suspension, within the right air/fuel mixture range, an enclosed space, and an ignition source.

I can't see the motor clear enough to be sure of what type of enclosure it has - if it's a TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) type motor. It looks like you get some dust in suspension inside your cabinet, but not a terrible amount. You say you had about 1 lb of dust accumulated -- while that might seem like a lot, the key factor is how much of it is suspended at any one time in the area of the ignition source. In other words, if you open the door while running the mill and there's just a light haze of dust inside, there's probably nothing to worry about.

A lot of people don't realize that the big grain mill explosions you read about in the news are actually two- or three-stage explosions. For instance, say a bearing on an elevator leg (not the people kind, instead a large rubber belt with plastic cups to lift the grain, moving at high speeds inside an enclosed shaft) gets hot. While the leg is running, there is a cloud of dust in constant suspension inside the housing. Bearing gets hot enough to become an ignition source, and the dust inside the leg explodes. This is actually a (comparatively) minor explosion, and probably wouldn't even be noticed two blocks away from the mill. But what it does do is shakes the entire building -- and knocks all of the accumulated dust off of the beams and machinery inside. THAT is the suspended dust that ends up blowing the headhouse off the mill and making headlines.

That is an awesome mill setup.
Not too sure about explosive properties though.

Grain dust on the floor isn't a huge issue when it comes to explosive potential. A 1lb pile if ignited by a flame would likely make some nasty smoke though. It's more an issue when you have a lot of fine grain particles floating around in the air in just the right concentration. On a home brewing scale this is virtually impossible to achieve. On an industrial scale, well, accidents happen every year.

One of my projects for this year is to build something to attach my shop vac to my grain mill while i'm milling to collect the dust. My motivation for this is so i can do it inside, cleanly and to keep the dust down since I am ridiculously allergic to grain dust. If I have one instance of smelling grain dust during the brew day a few hours later my lungs close up and I wheeze for days.

I use Teflon coated HEPA filters with my shop vacs. Drywall dust fall right off them when tapped. They're like $20 per filter, but are worth it and they last longer.

Back