Grain Mill Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingRugger

Reaction score
I recently ordered and received my grain mill. I have used it a couple of times but I am having a problem with stuck sparges, and this last weekend I could not even lauter out of my mash tun to get my first runnings. Now I know that my crush must be too fine. I was just wondering what is the proper gap size range for a grain mill?

Go by your output not a measurement. Most mills are different.

If you are making flour it is too fine, if most grains pass right through then make it crush more.

I looked at some crushed grain from the LHBS and tweaked mine until I got a similar result. Then play from there by what your efficiency is.

Also Rice hulls are cheap and a bag will last for quite a few batches. That will help free up the sparge.

It might not be a mill issue at all. How is your MT setup? False bottom, SS braided hose, manifold... I use a copper manifold and crush with a BC set to .035 and get a fair amount of flour and have never had a hint of a stuck sparge.

The mill can't go to fast or it will make dust. What mill do you have? How are you turning it? Got a picture of your crush? What kind of filter in the MLT do you have?

I have the barley crusher and it still at its preset of .039 and I'm getting 89-90% eff. But like stated above you MT and the sort of screen your using. Like everyone else said. Post a pic of your crush. Here's mine.

image-271922449.jpg

Back