Grain mill gap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynxpilot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just setting system up now. Using Brewzilla 35L. I bought a NB Hullwrecker mill that goes down to 0.025" gap. If I mill down to minimum gap, am I asking for trouble with clogging the lower screen? Thanks in advance

Though I've never used the Brewzilla, I'd be very worried about stuck lauters at that gap size. Though this is the more tedious route, I'd start at somewhere in the 0.04-0.05" range and then adjust slowly down each brew (maybe 0.002" per) until you find the spot you're happiest with.

@3 Dawg Night
I have moved over to half batch at 0.5 mm and half at 0.75 mm using a Maltzilla conditioned grain. The maltzilla does crush the grain no husks get cut up with it,
efficiency has improved just got to do the stats on the weekend batch.
With the recirculation on the guten and the screen on the top I get very little accumulation of escaped grain with this mill setting. Lautered almost too well and I might have to go 75 to 25 ratio next time. Even with a stout done on saturday that had 20 percent roast barley. I did put the barley on the top of the mash but it did get incorporated after a while into the top grain layer. I do use glucanase in most of my mashes though instead of hulls.
IMG_20210506_130104.jpg

I have settled on .030" as my gap. Not using Brewzilla. I did tighten up for awhile to .022" or so and had no lautering issues, but I was concerned about the excess dust and how torn up the husks were. No change in efficiency with the tighter gap, but I mash overnight.

Back