Grain crushing, True Brew kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
After getting a little deeper in Papazian's book, I'm wondering if the grain that came in my True Brew kit needed to be crushed before using (Weyermann Melanoidin Malt). The directions in the kit don't mention anything about it.

Do all grains need to be crushed before steeping? I'm planning to do a non-kit recipe soon, can I crush the 1# of Cara Pilsner at home? Papazian mentioned a rolling pin. I've got one of those ;)

Thanks,

-Joe

I'm not familar where you get the true brew kit, but anytime I ordered extract kits from morebeer, the grains came milled for steeping unless you told them otherwise. My guess would be the same for any other HBS.

Most of the time grains should be crushed. They will let out the flavor more because of the higher surface area vs. mass. And if your LHBS doesn't have a grain mill then yes a rolling pin will work.

Back