Grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard it said that 10% should be enough. But if you double crush your malt and do a "mash out"then you probably will not need to increase the grain bill.

I think it will come down to what efficiency you get. Mine is usually pretty high and get a few points higher than the recipe says I will get, so I don't change anything. Your first batch will be sort of a test for future batches. See what efficency you get with an online calculator or beersmith then you can adjust future batches. If the grain is crushed pretty well, I wouldn't change a thing.

brewmcq said:
Dunk sparge is also your friend.

Agreed on the dunk sparge...lately I have been a fan of the sprinkle sparge, or simply pouring the last gallon or so slowly through the bag...less labor intensive IME.

Do y'all squeeze your grain bags during the draining process?

I went straight from extract to small batch (2 gal) BIAB making my own recipes. Used "Designing Better Beer" book and BeerSmith software to figure out how much of what to use. I'm getting like 80% mash efficiency.

As for squeezing grain, oh yea. Better than squeezing small batch I press every last drop out using coffee cups and a collendar.

IMGP0943.jpg

I thought you make 3 gallon batches. Are you doing full volume BIAB and what size pot do you use?

Thanks...

I do 2 gallon batches. Well I'm trying to ferment about 1.9 gallons in a 2 gallon HD paint bucket.

I have a 4 gallon pot and a 5 gallon cooler where I mash.

I do full volume BIAB w/out a problem in the 4 gallon pot.

After mash I have about 2.75 gallons

I'm trying to figure out the difference in volume from right after the boil and everything is HOT to when it's cool and the break material has been screened out. JUst began to take notes on that so I can get 18 bottles of finished beer.

I'm trying to figure out the difference in volume from right after the boil and everything is HOT to when it's cool and the break material has been screened out. JUst began to take notes on that so I can get 18 bottles of finished beer.

I invite you over to biabrewer.info

They have a pre-release spreadsheet called the BIABACUS. It's great.

Thank you for your help on my question, I was curious about your pot size, so I could help a guy. His biggest pot is 10L, next size is 5L.

I invite you over to biabrewer.info

They have a pre-release spreadsheet called the BIABACUS. It's great.

Thank you for your help on my question, I was curious about your pot size, so I could help a guy. His biggest pot is 10L, next size is 5L.

INteresting web site, but metric just blows me away. I'm to frikin old to covert in my head. LOL

INteresting web site, but metric just blows me away. I'm to frikin old to covert in my head. LOL

I read your post on Mr Penn's stout. Looks like you have it all figured out.

It's also a recipe designer and scaler, besides a calculator.

Yeah, it's metric input and then displays US. I'm too old to fish around for a half dozen calculators or use software that doesn't calculate your efficiency automatically.

Back