Grain bill and speciality grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nash91

Reaction score
I’ve done a bit of web surfing but have come up empty handed with most sites going off on a different tangent.

Speciality grains are always listed as “should be 10-15% of grain bill” and I’d like to know why that is? What impact using more does?

I’ve heard of people that have used more of these grains than recommended without any harm done to the beers flavour etc.

I think it largely depends on the style. Dark, heavy or sweet styles may have more specialty malt. Lighter styles generally use just a little. I've found that some specialty malts take a bit longer to mellow, having an odd flavor when young. I also remember seeing an article that medium crystal in particular should be used with restraint. Sorry, I don't have a link. Some specialty grains can overpower a beer. But personal preferences and experience vary. I've used up to a pound of honey malt in a brew with good results, it is one of those malts for which caution is advised. Are you planning a brew with a high percentage of specialty grain?

They also, in most cases, do not have the required enzymes present for starch breakdown and they dilute the overall percentage of enzymes and nutrients required for successful mash conversion and yeast health during fermentation.

The rule of thumb will generally keep you out of trouble in the mash conversion. There needs to be enough diastatic enzymes in the base malt to convert the specialty grains. Base malts, especially american one's are a lot higher in power than they used to be, so this is generally not an issue. But if you have a huge specialty grain bill, you need to account for it.

Thankyou all for your response. I’m asking as i recently did a beer with cara-rye as the speciality and found that it just wasn’t coming through enough (at 14% of my grain bill)

Last edited:
Thankyou all for your response. I’m asking as i recently did a beer with cara-rye as the speciality and found that it just wasn’t coming through enough (at 14% of my grain bill)
Use flaked rye instead. If you need head retention use a small amount of carapils.

Thankyou all for your response. I’m asking for two reasons, irecently did a beer with cara-rye as the speciality and found that it just wasn’t coming through enough (at 14% of my grain bill) and also as I have decided to try something new (to me at least) and brew a 100% (or at least 80%) cara-rye beer.

Would this be possible and what are the concerns you guys would be worried of?
Use flaked rye instead. If you need head retention use a small amount of carapils.

If using flaked rye i imagine i’d have to mash that right?

Rye can be evasive. I use about 15% rye malt in my Rye Pale, only 9% Simpson's Rye Crystal in my Rye ESB. Both lend some spice, but only enough that the drinker may perceive it as a hop or yeast flavor. If you use flaked rye, you might want to add rice hulls to the mash, as flakes are sticky.

I like to boil my flaked grains to gelatinize them before adding to the mash. I've used up to 15% flaked rye, but general use just 5-10% to add a bit of spicy, grainy character. It adds a really nice (and different) character to a Pale. JohnSand is right. Rye can add to the possibility of a stuck mash, depending on amount used.

Last edited:
Back